This podcast is a bit of an ecclectic mix of ideas, song snippets, and educational project ideas. Foundationally, these relate to the idea that we’re going to have an enduring need to help younger students as well as older learners use digital tools in powerful, appropriate, and constructive ways. Whether we use the words citizen journalist, digital witness, storychaser, or ethical digital citizen, the ideas of responsibly using media to publish at will on the global stage of the Internet are included. The prospect of the Heartland Flyer Amtrak train being extended from Oklahoma City to Kansas City in less than two years will open up some exciting possibilities for a summer digital media travel experience for teachers and students in Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma and Texas. The Storychaser’s Peace Train would begin in Saint Louis and end in Fort Worth, providing opportunities for student-teacher teams to develop and refine their own storychasing skills alongside others from around our nation. Stopping in small, rural communities along the way to learn local history and interview community members, to videoconference “live” back to home communities via satellite-based videoconferencing units, and “sharing the journey” with others via photo sharing, video sharing, and blogging would all be part of the Storychaser’s Peace Train experience. Who knows where these dreams and our digital connections will take us in the months and years ahead? Perhaps the Storychaser’s Peace Train will be passing through a small town near you soon.
- Railroads and virtual connections
- Roads of Learning in the 21st Century (v 1.0)
- Roads of Learning in the 21st Century (on blip.tv)
- Storychasing the 2008 XIT Rodeo and Ranch
- 72 Years of Free Barbeque (StoryChasers video)
- Lessons Learned from two more Ustream.tv remote webcasts
- RoundTrips: Interactive Video Conferencing from Anywhere (Lewis and Clark trail – roundtrips.org)
- Reflections about old jails, land appraisal, and high speed infrastructure in Cottonwood Falls, Kansas
- An Oklahoma City to Kansas City Amtrak Connection may be coming!
- Cottonwood Falls Kansas (Flickr Set)
- Heartland Flyer Train (Amtrak)
- City of New Orleans (song)
- Celebrate Oklahoma Voices
- The Digital Citizenship Website
- Contact Wesley Fryer
Subscribe to “Moving at the Speed of Creativity” weekly podcasts!
If you're trying to listen to a podcast episode and it's not working, check this status page. (Wes is migrating his podcasts to Amazon S3 for hosting.) Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Common Core / Curriculum."
On this day..
- Podcast398: A Student's Experiences in Oklahoma City Public Schools Virtual School - 2013
- First iMovie for iPhone Video - 2011
- Understanding the value of social media use for literacy development - 2010
- Bison on the Konza Prairie - 2008
- Opposing ethnocentrism in schools and society - 2007
- WikiPedia user page, Oklahoma Digital Centennial project - 2007
- Blog post listeners, podcatchers and accessibility - 2007