I had a great visit this evening with Jason Schubert, a friend of mine from Lubbock who is the interim-director of the J.M. Davis Arms and Historical Museum in Claremore, Oklahoma. Jason told me about the Oklahoma Museums Association, which lists 161 Oklahoma-based museums on its website. This is an amazing list! I knew we had a lot of museums around our state, but had no idea the number was this large! Their annual conference is scheduled for September 23-25, 2009 in Lawton. I’m thinking it would be great to invite more Oklahoma students and teachers to create student-led field trips like Howe Public Schools did last year to Spiro Mounds and will again this Friday to the Fort Smith National Historic Site. Howe students’ VFT this year will focus on the history of Judge Isaac Parker, who was known as “the legitimate ‘Hanging Judge’ of the American Old West.”
It would also be great to find a way to partner with Oklahoma museums and involve local students in our Celebrate Oklahoma Voices project. We are discussing a “BYOT” model for the workshops (bring your own technology) which would involve the use of cell phones as digital cameras and portable audio recorders via Gabcast. A BYOT workshop model would certainly be more scalable than our present model which requires about $7000 to purchase supplies/equipiment for each workshop involving 25 educators.
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard!
If you're trying to listen to a podcast episode and it's not working, check this status page. (Wes is migrating his podcasts to Amazon S3 for hosting.) Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Curriculum."
On this day..
- T-Mobile and Verizon Hotspot Mobile Data Shootout - 2014
- Is Embracing Digital Learning a Moral Issue for Educators? - 2013
- 2013 iPad Media Camps in June (OKC) & July (KSU) - 2013
- Create Illustrated PDF Stories with Story Patch on an iPad - 2012
- Options for Recording Stories on the iPad: Story Patch with Story Robe, Sonic Pics, & Story Kit - 2011
- Design Matters by Darren Kuropatwa at METC 2010 - 2010
- The Natives Are Restless by Deneen Frazier Bowen - 2010
- Storychasing Literacy Keynote on SlideShare (METC 2010) - 2010
- One of the best visual presentations I've ever seen - 2009
- How We Use Open Source Software and Why You Should Too - 2009