My eight year old daughter has been working on a biographical book report about Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis. Tonight I helped her digitize her paper-and-pencil timeline with XTimeline and her character map using myWebspiration. Both are free web 2.0 tools I think are wonderful.
Tomorrow we may record a VoiceThread together, using her character map as a storyboard. My biggest headache with these tools was actually printing the myWebspiration document. It kept cutting off the right side of the diagram, even when I moved the items around and resized them.
I published the article “Inspiration Software: An Essential Tool in Every Classroom” in 2002-2003 in TCEA’s TechEdge magazine. I’m delighted that myWebspiration works almost identically to Inspiration client software. The website is still in free beta, and I’d guess before long it will offer some kind of fee-based or subscription-based version.
If you’re interested in free concept mapping software, be sure to check out CMapTools, as well as Frank Pirrone’s presentation for K12Online07 on CMapTools, “Collaborative Concept Mapping – Breaking the Bounds of Location and Time… for $0.00 per Seat.” Freemind is another free concept mapping software program, but I have not used it at all. I’ve only dabbled with CMapTools a bit. I have more links for concept mapping available on delicious.
Have you had good or bad experiences working with either XTimeline or myWebspiration with students?
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard!
If you're trying to listen to a podcast episode and it's not working, check this status page. (Wes is migrating his podcasts to Amazon S3 for hosting.) Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Curriculum."
On this day..
- Find & Highlight Duplicates in Excel 2011 for Mac - 2015
- Student Oral Reports with School Hallway Dioramas via AudioBoo - 2013
- Manipulated FoxNews Video Shows Why eBooks are the WRONG Choice for K-12 1:1 Environments - 2011
- Civil War Augmented Reality Project Becomes HistoriQuest - 2011
- Photo memories in an old box - 2010
- WordPress for iPhone 2.2 Even Better - 2010
- Howe Oklahoma Students lead virtual field trip at Fort Smith, Arkansas - 2009
- BYOB - Bring Your Own Bandwidth - 2008
- Technical troubleshooting and tinkering are essential skills - 2008
- Podcasting from the Windows side - 2007