Yesterday and today I led half-day workshops on “Cell Phone Digital Storytelling” at the 2009 ITSC (Instructional Technologies Strategies Conference) in Portland, Oregon. We focused on using the websites GabCast and VoiceThread. This is the VoiceThread participants created, sharing their feedback about Sir Ken Robinson’s Sunday night keynote as well as their overall “takeaways” from the conference.
I also demonstrated the website Qik today, which permits people (with certain cell phones) to webcast live and archive those videos directly on the Internet. I interviewed Steve Dembo from Discovery Education (who was teaching next to me both days at ITSC) about his thoughts on Qik as well as the BYOL (bring your own laptop) format of ITSC.
I also shared some birthday greetings via Qik with my sister via Learning signs. My workshop participants even sang to here from here in Portland. 🙂
We’re living the “publish at will” era. It’s exciting to explore the constructive ways mobile phones can be used with students to support learning and extend learning beyond the traditional boundaries of the bell.
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide!MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- Deep Work and the Race to Minecraft - 2020
- Digital Literacy (for iPad wielding learners in Dodge City, Kansas) - 2014
- GeoMap Comparison of Cellular Data Speeds Between OKC and Dodge City - 2014
- Remembering the Importance of Creativity in a High Stakes Testing School Culture - 2013
- Options & Tips for Migrating a Posterous site to WordPress, Tumblr, or Posthaven - 2013
- Teacher Blog Controversy in Pennsylvania Points to Need for Social Media Guidelines - 2011
- Photo Geotagging Poses Privacy Risks, But Is NOT a Reason for Panic - 2011
- Will Race to the Top Hurt Kids and Make Charter School Entrepreneurs Rich? - 2010
- Tips to be a better blogger - 2010
- Attribution links in VoiceThreads - 2010