One of the highlights of my day yesterday in Rotorua, New Zealand, was visiting Te Puia and seeing the mud pools as well as geyser basin. This was an introductory “welcome” video I recorded in the morning from my hotel balcony, overlooking part of the crater lake of Rotorua.
I am now COMPLETELY sold on the value and utility of flash-based camcorders. I took 24 video clips (1.5 minutes long and less) at Te Puia, but have not had the time and bandwidth to upload all of them to Flickr yet. I have, however, uploaded my photos from yesterday at Te Puia.
Some daring kids were actually swimming in the pool just below this geyser as it erupted yesterday. We considered joining them, but in the end decided not to. This is certainly a scene we wouldn’t see at Yellowstone National Park. The kids were having a GREAT time. What an exciting place to swim!
Here are two videos of the geyser eruption as well as the mud pools at Te Puia.
In addition to seeing geothermal features at Te Puia, we also learned a great deal about Maori culture from our tour guide, including information about Maori traditional woodcarving and weaving.
I hadn’t realized the Maoris were cannibals. I found the history of the Moa in New Zealand particularly interesting this trip. Like the Dodo, the Moa is now an extinct bird. The Maoris ate the moa until it was extinct, however, whereas European visitors were the scourge of the Dodo on Mauritius.
Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Common Core / Curriculum."
On this day..
- Post an eBook from an iPad to Your Class Blog - 2012
- iPhone Video Edited with Splice - 2011
- Student Presentation on an iPad - 2011
- Brush Up on Modern Physics - Free - 2010
- Can you imagine this much global sharing? - 2010
- Podcast303: Transforming Pedagogy in NZ Schools, Duck Hunting in Hobbiton, the Easy Talk Microphone, and Kid Witness News - 2009
- Metered, commercial WiFi common in New Zealand - 2009
- Mobile Phone Media Collection and VoiceThread - 2008
- Podcast134: Eric Langhorst on Teaching History with 21st Century Technology - 2007
- The WOW2 skype/chat is now! - 2007