These are my notes from “The Sugar User-Interface Opportunity” by Anne Gentle, Documentation Coordinator, Just Write Click, TX. This was a presentation at COSN 2009 in Austin, Texas, on March 12, 2009. MY THOUGHTS AND COMMENTS ARE IN ALL CAPS. I WAS BARELY ABLE TO ATTEND PART OF THIS SESSION, RUNNING IN AND OUT, UNFORTUNATELY. I SUPER-INTERESTED IN THIS, HOWEVER! ANNE IS GOING TO POST HER SLIDES AND RESOURCES ON THE SUGARLABS WIKI. I’M EAGER TO CREATE MY OWN USB THUMB DRIVE SUGAR INSTALLATION FOR MY MACBOOK!
The award-winning Sugar Learning Platform promotes collaborative learning through Sugar Activities that encourage critical thinking, the heart of a quality education. Designed from the ground up especially for children, Sugar offers an alternative to traditional “office-desktop” software.
Sugar is the core component of a worldwide effort to provide every child with equal opportunity for a quality education. Available in 25 languages, Sugar’s Activities are used every school day by almost one-million children in more than forty countries.
Originally developed for the One Laptop per Child XO-1 netbook, Sugar runs on most computers. Sugar is free and open-source software.
When buying memory USB drives/thumb drives, it’s good to have ones that have an LED which show whether it’s in use / file transfers.
There is a large (10,000+) implementation of laptops using Sugar in Louisiana.
Did you know Wes has published 9 eBooks, and 1 of them is available free? Check them out! Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard!
If you're trying to listen to a podcast episode and it's not working, check this status page. (Wes is migrating his podcasts to Amazon S3 for hosting.) Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Curriculum."
On this day..
- Great reason NOT to use iBuildApp - 2014
- eBooks Sandbox: a space to share free eBook experiments! - 2012
- Secret iPhone Agreement (now public) and Apple User Ethics - 2010
- Platforms for idea sharing are essential (even family learning blogs) - 2010
- A projector in my pocket and a Netbook in my satchel - 2009
- Disrupting Class: How Disruptive Innovation Will Change the Way the World Learns (CoSN 2009 closing keynote) - 2009
- Empowering 21st Century Superintendents to Achieve a Culture of Transformation through Technology - 2009
- Google Apps: Implementation and Changing the Way We Do Business - 2009
- Navigating Beyond the Now: The Force, Trends, and Signals that will impact Learning in the Next Decade - 2009
- Social Networking, Web 2.0, and Learning: What the Research Says - 2009