This podcast is a recording of Bob Martin’s presentation at the 2009 COSN Conference in Austin, Texas, on March 11th. Bob is a technology leader for MORENET, a nonprofit providing a variety of technology services (including connectivity as an ISP) for over 500 schools in the state of Missouri. MORENET is part of the University of Missouri. Over the past year, Bob and others at MORENET have led a series of roundtable discussions with a variety of educational stakeholders in Missouri, talking about the issues surrounding the use of web 2.0 technologies in schools. Through their research, which Bob summarized and synthesized in this session, MORENET leaders have identified significant disconnects between the vision of educational technology and school change leaders regarding web 2.0 technologies, and the framework / outlook of many other educational leaders in schools who have and continue to enact policies which (in many cases) obstruct the effective use of web 2.0 technologies in the classroom. Many thanks to Bob and others at MORENET for conducting and sharing these research findings. We need more dialog about these issues in our schools, and organizations like MORENET are ideally situated to catalyze these conversations to get school leaders thinking differently about the ways communication and collaboration tools are being leverated (or not utilized) by students and teachers in their schools today.
- Bob Martin’s Blog: The Teacher Teacher
- Bob Martin on Twitter: dabigleap
- Link to Bob’s PowerPoint slides from this session
- My text notes from this session
- The Consortium of School Networking (COSN)
Subscribe to “Moving at the Speed of Creativity” weekly podcasts!
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide!MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- 16 Years of Web Hosting Changes with WordPress and Other Web Platforms: The Lessons Continue - 2018
- AirPlay Mirroring for Chromebooks with AirParrot - 2016
- Visualizing #beyondthetextbook - 2012
- Synthesizing #beyondthetextbook dialog in groups - 2012
- Morning discussions on digital content, textbooks, & learning - 2012
- Required Reading for #beyondthetextbook - 2012
- Questionable Apple Behavior Regarding Original ACOT Research and Challenge Based Learning - 2010
- Podcast239: 21st Century Learning: Embedding New Skills and Assessments by Dr. Richard Hersh (COSN 2008 Keynote) - 2008
- Effectiveness of Technology in Schools - 2007
- Internet Connections - 2007