“Indian” Jack Jacobs was a remarkable athlete. Born in Holdenville, Oklahoma in 1919, his exciting passing skills eventually led the Canadian Football League franchise team, the Winnipeg Blue Bombers, to build the larger Winnipeg Stadium, now called Canad Inns Stadium. This week in a Celebrate Oklahoma Voices workshop on oral history and digital storytelling, Holdenville teacher Kenneth Ray Orsburn, Jr. created the following 2.5 minute video about Jack Jacobs. It’s a Winnipeg to Oklahoma historical connection. (Darren, I had no idea!)
Prior to seeing this video, the only Indian / Native American professional football player from Oklahoma I had read about was Jim Thorpe. This is a great example of a biography and story which SHOULD be in our Oklahoma textbooks, but isn’t! Now it’s accessible to every learner on the planet, as long as they have Internet access and the domains celebrateoklahoma.us and api.ning.com are not blocked in their location. 🙂
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide! MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- Audience Feedback at iPadPalooza 2016 - 2016
- Seven Indispensable Google Chrome Extensions - 2015
- YouTube Now Supports Creative Commons BY Video Licensing #playingwithmedia - 2011
- Explaining No-Edit Audio Recording Power with an AudioBoo from Pearl Harbor - 2011
- Dreams of Open, Wireless Broadband Access and High Speed Rural Connectivity - 2011
- Online video editing with Kaltura and Stroome - 2010
- Ready to webcast and podcast NECC 2009 and discuss K12Online09 at EduBloggerCon - 2009
- No Partnership for 21st Century Skills Speaker's Bureau Membership for me - 2009
- OKC Bombing, Underground Chinatown in Oklahoma, Veteran Stories, and an Amazing Adoption from Russia - 2009
- Copyright Resources from Temple University - 2008