Two new book recommendations worth noting from Ric Murry in his post, “Why Don’t Students Like School (ch. 3).” I’ve added both to my Amazon Wish List. (Hint to all you wealthy benefactors out there, my birthday is next month on the 20th. 😉 )
First, “The Back of the Napkin” by Dan Roam.
Second, “Made To Stick” by Dan & Chip Heath.
I’ve already read (and LOVE) Sir Ken Robinson’s book, “The Element: How Finding Your Passion Changes Everything.”
Both “Back of the Napkin” and “Made to Stick” look like quick reads that would be great catalysts for thinking about learning as well as engagement. Key quotations cited by Ric:
Memory is the residue of thought.
The four Cs of an effective story: Causality, Conflict, Complications, and Character. All of these wrap around action wherein the storyteller shows rather than tells a story.
Bring forth thy storychasers, catalysts of the learning revolution.
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide!MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- Understanding the Weaponization of News Media with danah boyd - 2018
- Podcasting Options with WordPress - 2015
- Migrating from Podcast Generator to WordPress and Podlove - 2013
- Barnes & Noble Nook eBook Store: A Click Away from "Adult" Content - 2012
- 17 Embedded Videos and Screencasts in Playing with Media EPUB eBook - 2011
- Is your state department of education providing full text RSS / web feeds yet? - 2010
- Coming in November 2010: Harry Potter 7 (Part 1) - 2010
- We need a Government 2.0 Election App for Voters - 2010
- Thoughts about an after school Scratch club - 2009
- Fish4Info, Mike Schmoker, Robert Marzo, and School Change - 2008