Two new book recommendations worth noting from Ric Murry in his post, “Why Don’t Students Like School (ch. 3).” I’ve added both to my Amazon Wish List. (Hint to all you wealthy benefactors out there, my birthday is next month on the 20th. )
First, “The Back of the Napkin” by Dan Roam.
Second, “Made To Stick” by Dan & Chip Heath.
I’ve already read (and LOVE) Sir Ken Robinson’s book, “The Element: How Finding Your Passion Changes Everything.”
Both “Back of the Napkin” and “Made to Stick” look like quick reads that would be great catalysts for thinking about learning as well as engagement. Key quotations cited by Ric:
Memory is the residue of thought.
The four Cs of an effective story: Causality, Conflict, Complications, and Character. All of these wrap around action wherein the storyteller shows rather than tells a story.
Bring forth thy storychasers, catalysts of the learning revolution.
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard!
If you're trying to listen to a podcast episode and it's not working, check this status page. (Wes is migrating his podcasts to Amazon S3 for hosting.) Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Curriculum."
On this day..
- Podcast416: Reflections on Create, Make & Learn 2014 - 2014
- Migrating from Podcast Generator to WordPress and Podlove - 2013
- Barnes & Noble Nook eBook Store: A Click Away from "Adult" Content - 2012
- 17 Embedded Videos and Screencasts in Playing with Media EPUB eBook - 2011
- Is your state department of education providing full text RSS / web feeds yet? - 2010
- Coming in November 2010: Harry Potter 7 (Part 1) - 2010
- We need a Government 2.0 Election App for Voters - 2010
- Thoughts about an after school Scratch club - 2009
- Fish4Info, Mike Schmoker, Robert Marzo, and School Change - 2008
- Podcast266: Open Minds, Open Education, and a View of Open Culture by David Thornburg (NECC 2008) - 2008