When your classroom looks like this (hopefully with fewer students) are you still going to teach the same?
Based on what little I’ve heard locally from a university that’s gone 1:1 with both laptops and iPhones, the answer often is sadly, “Yes.” This Kaplan ad as well as the latest ACU “Connected” video suggest that the learning interactions SHOULD be different when ubiquitous access to laptop and handheld computing devices are available. We all know, however, there is often a space (sometimes large) between what is possible and what is actual.
To answer the questions invited by Will’s photo above, we might also need to answer the related questions, “How robust is the provided WiFi connectivity?” and “How much professional development as well as just-in-time instructional technology support is available?” At NECC 2009 this year, the bandwidth left a LOT to be desired. That can also be the case in schools which do not adequately plan and scale their network infrastructure to meet the demands of 1:1 computing.
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide! MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- 2003 K-12 Classroom Technology Integration: Pre-YouTube and Pre-Smartphone - 2019
- Glimpse the Future with Amy Webb @amywebb (Thanks @TWiT) - 2018
- Changing "Classroom Normal" with Interactive Blogging - 2012
- Passion-based learning in action: Brian Crosby at TEDxDenverEd - 2010
- Thoughts on Macs and Netbooks - 2009
- Digital media becomes socially interesting as it becomes technologically boring (ubiquitous) - 2009
- links for 2008-07-27 - 2008
- DOPA might not kill all DSN education in schools - 2006
- Virtual Field Trips: Take Students on An Adventure to Learn - 2006
- Putting the "interactive" into interactive electronic whiteboards - 2006