The article “Student Sues Coach Over Facebook Message: Teenager Says Coach Invaded Her Privacy” from Jackson, Mississippi, highlights the importance of password security and student privacy in schools.
Several things seem pretty clear here, but apparently were not to the parties involved:
– People should never share their password with others. This includes students sharing their Facebook password with a teacher/coach. Never a good idea.
– People should never solicit someone else’s password from them. Passwords for individual user accounts should be treated as private and confidential.
Are school leaders in your district making plans to encourage campuses to create social media policies in the upcoming school year? While the situation highlighted in this article should have been avoided by common sense on the part of both the student and the teacher/coach, it wasn’t. We need to be having conversations about issues like these in our schools on a regular basis.
The 15 page filed court document is also available from the TV station’s website as a PDF file. This type of news event is yet another example of why we need to take our responsibility seriously as educators to amplify/showcase the constructive uses of digital and social media tools for students. This is a key focus of Storychasers and Celebrate Oklahoma Voices specifically.
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide!MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- Green Screen Videos to Share with Teachers - 2016
- Invite Students to Enter Clean Shorts Film Festival - 2015
- Sheldon Whitehouse responds to Jim Inhofe on Climate Change - 2014
- 2010 K-12 Online Conference Call for Proposals #k12online10 - 2010
- Digital Citizenship in the Cyber Community (free webcast) - 2009
- Podcast324: Gaming, Fun, and Digital Citizenship at the Internet Cafe in Cushing, Oklahoma - 2009
- To succeed we must fail - a LOT - 2009
- Go Green, Go Electric" featuring Miles Electric vehicles wins 1st place - 2009
- Smart Technologies whiteboard software now requires product keys for installation - 2008
- Multiple Intelligences - 2008