Here’s a relatively amazing back-to-school professional development story, experienced by teachers in Newport News, Virginia: Watch a movie AT the movie theater together, and live-blog it together using Twitter. According to Cathy Grimes’s article last Friday, “Teachers practice blogging at the movies:”
Passage Middle School’s first gathering for faculty and staff happened in an unlikely place.
They met in theater 14 in Hampton AMC 24 at 9:30 Thursday morning. Their assignment: watch the film “Julie & Julia” and practice blogging skills using Twitter.
Twitter is a social networking site where users post messages of 140 characters.
Principal Kipp Rogers, who said he prefers films with car chases and action, asked the teachers to watch the film because one of the main characters blogs about her efforts learning to cook using a Julia Child cookbook.
All Passage instructional staff members who work directly with students will have blogs with student writing prompts and assignments, Rogers said. The goal is to link writing with every subject taught at Passage, which recently was certified as an International Baccalaureate school.
Woo hoo, let’s hear it for educators in Virginia being proactive with social media and embracing its constructive potential! Could you please send some school representatives to meet with my local school board, who seem to still regard blogging as equivalent to an animal sacrifice ritual? (In terms of its propriety and place in the classroom.)
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide!MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- CDR Electronics in Oklahoma City: A GREAT Place to Buy Used iOS Devices & Macs - 2012
- Turn off Automatic iPhone Backups in iTunes with DiskAid - 2012
- Handwriting Resource Websites - 2012
- Day 1 experiences with a class blog on 21classes - 2010
- PBworks spam cleanup on Great Book Stories - 2010
- Paper-based Oxford English Dictionary days may be limited - 2010
- Mexico Cleaning up Police Corruption? - 2010
- Spam Twitter Followers Proliferating - 2009
- Presentation for Oklahoma State School Board Association (Celebrate Oklahoma Voices) - 2009
- Podcast275V: Installing Moodle via Fantastico from CPanel on a Custom Sub-Domain - 2008