I’m late seeing this, but we actually had some local parents stage a protest over President Obama’s national speech to students here in Edmond, Oklahoma, where I live, a couple of weeks ago before his speech. Given the response (over 180,000 views to date) and learning which has taken place around my daughter’s YouTube-posted response video, this is interesting as well as sad. This short video includes an interview with one of the protesting parents, who was concerned that our President would negatively influence children in our schools. (Unfortunately there is a short advertisement which will play first before the video clip.)
The picture of a young child in the video holding a sign her parent had doubtless created which read, “Don’t Brainwash Me,” is probably the most ironic image from this video. Who was brainwashing who?
See the past posts “Criteria for moderating comments on a viral video,” “YouTube comment moderation is great (and recommended) when videos go viral,” “Over 17,000 views on YouTube in 24 hours,” “Using Blogs and CoverItLive to Discuss President Obama’s Speech,” and “President Obama’s Speech to Students: A Great Opportunity for Synchronous, Live Discussions” for background on my experiences with Sarah related to the speech and her response.
We certainly weren’t among those parents protesting the speech outside the offices of the Edmond School Board.
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide!MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- 2nd PLAYDATE PD Event in Oklahoma: Saturday October 4th! - 2014
- iPhone5 Weight & Form Factor - 2012
- Blocked Sites in China - 2010
- Purchase a new webkinz or say goodbye to WebKinz World Online - 2009
- An Exemplary Interactive Mobile Conference Website (Vision 2020 Conference) - 2009
- Deer Creek (Oklahoma) Students and Teachers Using Skype - 2009
- Podcast281: Brisinger Book Release, Home Run Books, Flow, and Reading Advice from 10 Year Old Alexander - 2008
- Learning 2.0 Conference opening panel - 2007
- Podcast84: Inertia, Teaching and Change - 2006
- Fourier Systems Nova5000 - 2006