This podcast is a recorded presentation from the 2009 Oklahoma School Public Relations Association conference at Quartz Mountain on April 23, 2009. This session, presented by Wesley Fryer, was titled, “Leveraging the Potential of Social Media for School Public Relations.” The official presentation description was: Social media technologies offer excellent opportunities for school public relations officials as well as teachers, administrators, librarians and others to communicate with parents and other community constituents. In this session we’ll explore how educators and students are using Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, as well as a variety of wiki and blog platforms to “tell their story” about the wonderful learning experiences and opportunities available in their schools. We’ll address legal issues including confidentiality, CIPA, FERPA, and liability concerns, as well as practical issues like how to moderate community comments as well as student-created text and media postings. School officials should proactively embrace opportunities to use social media technologies in smart and effective ways to safely communicate with constituents on the global stage which is the Internet.* This session will showcase current examples of educational leaders who are doing this successfully, as well as share ideas for how school leaders can get started. [end of description] Refer to the podcast shownotes for links to presentation slides on SlideShare as well as referenced videos and websites.
- Presentation slides on SlideShare
- Referenced links from this presentation
- The Oklahoma School Public Relations Association
- Contact Wesley
- Follow Wesley on Twitter
Subscribe to “Moving at the Speed of Creativity” weekly podcasts!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard!
If you're trying to listen to a podcast episode and it's not working, check this status page. (Wes is migrating his podcasts to Amazon S3 for hosting.) Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Curriculum."
On this day..
- Favorite iPad / iPhone / iPod Touch Audio Editing Apps (October 2011) - 2011
- Waiting For Superman: A Good Film to Provoke Conversations We Need - 2010
- Welcome to the 2010 K-12 Online Conference - 2010
- First Proctored Quiz with Moodle - 2010
- Perceptions of Beauty, PhotoShop, and Media Literacy - 2009
- Chinesepod and Connectivism: More connections lead to more learning - 2008
- Tagging the K-12 Online Conference - 2007
- Google Teacher Academy - 2006
- When Night Falls skypecast notes - 2006
- The joy of chess - 2006