I’ve heard from several folks that the Kodak Zi8 Pocket Video Camera is a flash-based camcorder worth waiting for, and based on the review from Wired it looks like that predication is accurate. It is now available for $180 retail. Marco Torres had told me to be on the lookout for this camcorder back in February of 2009 at ITSC.
One of the biggest benefits of this flash-based camcorder over Flips is the fact that it has an external microphone port. If you’re interested in recording high quality audio, which should be the case for any serious digital storyteller, this is a HUGE feature. It also can record up to 5 MB still images, which is excellent. All the Flips I’ve seen are very limited in the still image resolution they can capture.
If you’re a Mac user, I’ve heard the MP4 native file format of the Zi8 is QuickTime native, making it much friendlier to import into Final Cut, iMovie, or just QuickTime Pro. I haven’t verified this, but I definitely know (based on our Storychasing Creativity project work in September) that Flip video formats are TERRIBLE for importing into Final Cut Express.
I hope to get my hands on a Kodak Zi8 soon! If Santa is asking for your wish list, you might consider adding it to yours this Christmas season!
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide! MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- Cultural Literacy in an Era of Information Overabundance - 2015
- How to Share Videos from a School iPad Cart - 2013
- Launching Learning with Kevin Honeycutt: K12Online12 Begins! - 2012
- Welcome to the golden age of writing and publishing - 2010
- MacBook Air Rev finally coming Oct 20th? - 2010
- Beware of invitations to "connect" Twitter and Facebook accounts to other web services - 2009
- Geocaching In and Out of the Classroom by Beth Goodwin - 2009
- iTunes Installation Guide and Implications of the 4th Screen - 2008
- Balancing freedom for creativity and a need for reasonable uniformity - 2007
- A Vision of Students Today - 2007