These are my notes from Carl Owens’s presentation “Collaborations between the Teacher Education Technology Programs and Rural K-12 Schools” at the 21st Century Learning @ the West Lake Expo held Oct 31 – Nov 3, 2009 at Xi Hu, China, also known as West Lake. West Lake is in the center of Hangzhou, China, which is about an hour by bus southwest of Shanghai. MY THOUGHTS AND COMMENTS ARE IN ALL CAPS.
We believe partnerships with the College of Education and outside organization strengthen the teacher preparation process
The College of Education was funded with a $1 million endowment to improve teacher education in 1999, that is soon to be $2 million
– first goal was to improve college teaching facilities and
– Apple Computer
– SMART technologies
– Inspiration Software Inc.
College has provided a variety of equipment to partner schoools in the area: laptops, digital video cameras, digital still cameras, keyboard controllers for music, data/video projectors, iPod Touches, all other supporting technologies needed
What we wanted to do was give every teacher or student the tools they needed, without of thought of how much it cost
Tools used for training:
– Garageband/Session for PC
– iPhoto/Picassa for PC
– iMovie/MovieMaker for PC
– Inspiration / Kidspiration
– Web based applications (Google apps)
– and many other tools too numerous to list
– improved attitudes toward adoption of new technologies
Now showing photos where students can check out these tools for use
– this is a very different model from most colleges of education
– students can check out anything for an hour, a day, a week, a month, or the entire time they are with us as students
Our media center where these items are checked out is always busy!
– this is a room that was given to our college by Promethian, at a cost of approx $100,000, for fre
These are teachers being trained
– photo of teacher taking a picture of someone else, doing digital storytelling
we believe the teachers must learn to do these things first, before they can show the students how to do it
– picture of teachers recording a story with Audacity
In the last four years, we have trained 4000 teachers in the summer
Picture of teachers recording a script of a story
– this is the same process that we encourage teachers to follow with students in the classroom
Picture of teachers using a SMARTtable
– student response systems from SMART
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide!MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- Inspired by Ben Wilkoff's 6 Second Stories for Learning - 2014
- Great Videos for Public Relations Media Training - 2012
- Creativity is a Decision: Keys to Developing Creativity in Children and Adults - 2011
- The Secret Sauce of Whole Foods by John Mackey - 2011
- Creating Conditions for the Extraordinary by Peter Gamwell - 2011
- Opening Plenary Session: 2011 Oklahoma Creativity Forum - 2011
- Firesheep should get your ATTENTION: Open Public Wifi Dangers are REAL - 2010
- Oklahoma Students Deserve Your YES Vote on SQ 744 - 2010
- Podcast362: State Question 744 and Oklahoma Education Funding @YESon744 - 2010
- Professional Association and Publication Potentials for ICT and 21st Century Learning in the Asia / Pacific Region - 2009