President Obama shared an important speech Tuesday night at WestPoint calling for changes in US policy and troop strength levels in Afghanistan. Use the following Wordle “word cloud” with your students and ask them what they can “see” were major themes in the President’s address. Larger versions are available from Wordle.net and Flickr.
Next, follow up by having students find excerpts in the full text of the speech which either support or contradict their visual hypotheses.
To get a better perspective on how headlines about these issues have evolved over time, enter a search for “afghanistan obama” into the Google Labs’ “Google News Timeline” tool and analyze how headlines have been changing. Here’s a link to a saved query I created. Try changing the view from day to month.
What words are NOT in this word cloud which should be in predicting the next 12 – 24 months of news for US forces in Afghanistan?
Use the World News website to search for “obama afghanistan” and compare the perspectives of different news agencies around the world about the speech. How is the focus of Al Jazeera’s coverage (via YouTube) different from that of The New York Times?
Did you know Wes has published 9 eBooks, and 1 of them is available free? Check them out! Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard!
If you're trying to listen to a podcast episode and it's not working, check this status page. (Wes is migrating his podcasts to Amazon S3 for hosting.) Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Common Core / Curriculum."
On this day..
- The Hour of Code - 2013
- Speak Words Others Can Understand: Avoid Jargon - 2012
- Reluctance to pay for readable news - 2010
- Seedlings 100th Show Tonight! - 2010
- YouTube video by Willow Smith goes viral, leads to recording contract #cmtc10 - 2010
- Digital Citizenship for our Schools @alicebarr #cmtc10 - 2010
- 6 Word Stories About 21st Century Learning and The Power Law #21c6w - 2009
- Make any text into a computer-generated audio file with Snow Leopard - 2009
- Comparing oral fluency at ages 4 and 5, discussing sausage ball cooking - 2008
- Our Oklahoma Digital Learning Team (ODLT) Hawaii 2007 Adventures begin - 2007