I’ve submitted a proposal for the January 14th IgniteOKC event, titled “Ubuntu Netbooks for All Learners – Now!” Here’s the session description:
Every learner in our classrooms today needs immediate access to mobile, wireless technologies, along with opportunities to learn how to use these tools in powerful, constructive ways. Learning today should not be limited to a consumptive activity followed by periodic regurgitation. Instead, students as well as teachers should continually act as co-learners and co-creators of content for local audiences as well as the global stage. Clay Shirky correctly observes technologies don’t get socially interesting until they become technologically boring. The commoditization of digital learning devices is essential (but not sufficient) for digital learning equity and the learning revolution. In this presentation we’ll examine how netbook computers and the free, open source Ubuntu operating system can empower a new generation of digital learners in Oklahoma adept at the three C’s of 21st century literacy: Creating, Communicating, and Collaborating.
Please take a few minutes and cast your vote of support for my presentation suggestion! 🙂 Also, if you’ll be or can be in Oklahoma City the evening of January 14th, register now for a free ticket for the IgniteOKC event!
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide! MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- Taylor Swift's Letter to Apple and Digital Citizenship - 2015
- Combine Audioboo Sound Recordings with Audacity - 2013
- When Creative Musical Genius Meets YouTube - 2012
- Incredible Oklahoma City Christmas Lights Powered by Light-o-Rama - 2011
- The Dangerous Nexus of Cyber Charter Schools & For-Profit Curriculum Companies - 2011
- Standardized Test Results Obfuscate Real Learning - 2011
- Smartphones on the rise, Apple v Google Approaches - 2010
- We Learn What We Do - With Media Too - 2010
- What's going on with oil prices these days? (Challenge your students in 2009 to find out) - 2008
- Wrangling with email contact lists and Christmas card mass mailing options - 2008