Thanks to the list of recommended WordPress plug-ins from Studiopress, I discovered Lester Chan’s WP Database Manager plugin and WP-PluginsUsed plugin today. These are both free and can add valuable functionality to self-hosted WordPress blogs.
WP Database Manager provides a web-based interface for mySQL backups, repairs, and optimizations. “Removing overhead” from your WordPress mySQL blog is a good idea, and can become vital in extreme situations when it has not been done. My post from May 2009, “WordPress commenting restored thanks to phpMyAdmin table repair” gives some additional background. If you opt to use WP Database Manager, you don’t need to use phpMyAdmin to “remove overhead” / repair your database.
WP-PluginsUsed provides a dynamic way to list your WordPress plugin colophon. After activating this plugin, I added the following code to my blog’s “about page” to display my current active and inactive plugins:
Now I no longer need to edit my about page when I install or uninstall a WordPress plugin to share that fact, it’s done automatically.
Check out Wesley's new ebook, "Mapping Media to the Common Core: Volume I." (2013) It's $15!
If you're trying to listen to a podcast episode and it's not working, check this status page. (Wes is migrating his podcasts to Amazon S3 for hosting.) Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Common Core / Curriculum."
On this day..
- Why Scratch Club? - 2013
- Temporarily Copy Offline YouTube Videos to Your iPad - 2012
- Claim Your Online Content With Google+ Authorship Settings - 2012
- Misleading Article About Oklahoma Lottery Funds Supplanting Education Funds - 2012
- The Power of Social Media Supporting Collaboration and Creativity: #popupschool at #cwf2010 - 2011
- Harry Potter Whiteboard Wands, Responders, and the Palm Pre - 2009
- The MegaVCR: Media and More in Your Pocket - 2007
- Simple Podcasting on a Global Scale - 2007
- Engaging Brains Through Games and Simulations by Bernie Dodge - 2007
- Building A Better Mousetrap: How Technology Will Improve Achievement - 2007