I read Stacy Martin’s article last Wednesday in the City Sentinel newspaper of Oklahoma City, “Historic NAACP Center in danger of closing,” with great dismay. According to the article:
The timing of the Jan. 18th 2010 tribute to Martin Luther King, Jr. couldn’t arrive at a more ironic time for Oklahoma’s NAACP office, 2609 N. Martin Luther King Ave.
NAACP’s historic Freedom Center headquarters in Oklahoma City is currently crushed by debt, operating costs and is in dire need of repairs. Conditions may force leadership to close its doors, said NAACP president Anthony R. Douglas.
I started working with a teacher and group of students this past fall in Norman Public Schools on a OKC3 Project focused on Clara Luper and her contributions to the fight for civil rights here in Oklahoma. At this point I do not know what fundraising plans are in place to try and keep the NAACP Center open. I’m hopeful we’ll be able to find out and if possible, help the cause.
We’ve started collecting some online video links about Clara Luper on our project wiki. Do you know about “the longest sit-in movement in the history of the United States?” Do you know why Clara Luper is a hero in Oklahoma? Do your students? We all should!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard!
If you're trying to listen to a podcast episode and it's not working, check this status page. (Wes is migrating his podcasts to Amazon S3 for hosting.) Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Curriculum."
On this day..
- Custom Domain Mapping for a Classroom Google Site - 2016
- Backup iPhone SMS Messages on a Mac - 2016
- Creating Visual Notes on an iPad with ProCreate - 2015
- FREE on Amazon for Kindle - Hopscotch Challenges: Learn to Code on an iPad! eBook - 2014
- EdCampOKC 2013 Organizer Meeting January 10th [ARCHIVED VIDEO] - 2013
- Quality Counts Education State Reports: $5 Each?! - 2011
- iPhone Mobile Hotspot Capability Coming with iOS 4.3? - 2011
- Time Tracking (time sheet) App for iPhone - 2011
- Observations about Organizational Blogging and Social Media Use - 2011
- Riddikulus! @newsok Please change your policy locking up your archives to paying customers only - 2010