I read Stacy Martin’s article last Wednesday in the City Sentinel newspaper of Oklahoma City, “Historic NAACP Center in danger of closing,” with great dismay. According to the article:
The timing of the Jan. 18th 2010 tribute to Martin Luther King, Jr. couldn’t arrive at a more ironic time for Oklahoma’s NAACP office, 2609 N. Martin Luther King Ave.
NAACP’s historic Freedom Center headquarters in Oklahoma City is currently crushed by debt, operating costs and is in dire need of repairs. Conditions may force leadership to close its doors, said NAACP president Anthony R. Douglas.
I started working with a teacher and group of students this past fall in Norman Public Schools on a OKC3 Project focused on Clara Luper and her contributions to the fight for civil rights here in Oklahoma. At this point I do not know what fundraising plans are in place to try and keep the NAACP Center open. I’m hopeful we’ll be able to find out and if possible, help the cause.
We’ve started collecting some online video links about Clara Luper on our project wiki. Do you know about “the longest sit-in movement in the history of the United States?” Do you know why Clara Luper is a hero in Oklahoma? Do your students? We all should!
Check out Wesley's new ebook, "Mapping Media to the Common Core: Volume I." (2013) It's $15!
If you're trying to listen to a podcast episode and it's not working, check this status page. (Wes is migrating his podcasts to Amazon S3 for hosting.) Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Common Core / Curriculum."
On this day..
- EdCampOKC 2013 Organizer Meeting January 10th [ARCHIVED VIDEO] - 2013
- Quality Counts Education State Reports: $5 Each?! - 2011
- iPhone Mobile Hotspot Capability Coming with iOS 4.3? - 2011
- Time Tracking (time sheet) App for iPhone - 2011
- Observations about Organizational Blogging and Social Media Use - 2011
- Riddikulus! @newsok Please change your policy locking up your archives to paying customers only - 2010
- Showing full length copyrighted movies for leadership class - 2010
- Helping students picture themselves at college - 2010
- Wanted: PhotoDropper Macintosh Application - 2009
- It is time to drastically slash the number of state educational standards - 2009