NewsOK (The Daily Oklahoman) is the largest newspaper in Oklahoma City, and I suspect the largest mainstream media conglomerate in our state. I love to read their news feeds in my RSS aggregator, but their policy of forcing the public to PAY to access news articles over 60 days old is flawed and should change.
As a voting public, free and open access to information is a cornerstone of our democracy. While I certainly respect intellectual property rights and am not saying mainstream media outlets shouldn’t make money on their content, I personally find this policy by NewsOK frustrating, ridiculous, and counter-productive to the ideal of promoting an informed and educated electorate for our state.
Please NewsOK, change this policy and open up your archives for FREE public access. Monetize your archived content in other ways, with embedded ads in your RSS feeds and on your article pages. I know schools can get free access, but that is not good enough. As Oklahomans, we deserve more from the fourth estate. Locking up your content in this way risks digital irrelevancy for so much of the wonderful content you have residing on your servers.
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide!MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- Custom Domain Mapping for a Classroom Google Site - 2016
- Backup iPhone SMS Messages on a Mac - 2016
- Creating Visual Notes on an iPad with ProCreate - 2015
- FREE on Amazon for Kindle - Hopscotch Challenges: Learn to Code on an iPad! eBook - 2014
- EdCampOKC 2013 Organizer Meeting January 10th [ARCHIVED VIDEO] - 2013
- Quality Counts Education State Reports: $5 Each?! - 2011
- iPhone Mobile Hotspot Capability Coming with iOS 4.3? - 2011
- Time Tracking (time sheet) App for iPhone - 2011
- Observations about Organizational Blogging and Social Media Use - 2011
- Oklahoma City NAACP Freedom Center Needs Funds to Remain Open - 2010