NewsOK (The Daily Oklahoman) is the largest newspaper in Oklahoma City, and I suspect the largest mainstream media conglomerate in our state. I love to read their news feeds in my RSS aggregator, but their policy of forcing the public to PAY to access news articles over 60 days old is flawed and should change.
As a voting public, free and open access to information is a cornerstone of our democracy. While I certainly respect intellectual property rights and am not saying mainstream media outlets shouldn’t make money on their content, I personally find this policy by NewsOK frustrating, ridiculous, and counter-productive to the ideal of promoting an informed and educated electorate for our state.
Please NewsOK, change this policy and open up your archives for FREE public access. Monetize your archived content in other ways, with embedded ads in your RSS feeds and on your article pages. I know schools can get free access, but that is not good enough. As Oklahomans, we deserve more from the fourth estate. Locking up your content in this way risks digital irrelevancy for so much of the wonderful content you have residing on your servers.
Did you know Wes has published 3 eBooks, and 1 of them is available free? Check them out! Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard!
If you're trying to listen to a podcast episode and it's not working, check this status page. (Wes is migrating his podcasts to Amazon S3 for hosting.) Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Common Core / Curriculum."
On this day..
- FREE on Amazon for Kindle - Hopscotch Challenges: Learn to Code on an iPad! eBook - 2014
- EdCampOKC 2013 Organizer Meeting January 10th [ARCHIVED VIDEO] - 2013
- Quality Counts Education State Reports: $5 Each?! - 2011
- iPhone Mobile Hotspot Capability Coming with iOS 4.3? - 2011
- Time Tracking (time sheet) App for iPhone - 2011
- Observations about Organizational Blogging and Social Media Use - 2011
- Oklahoma City NAACP Freedom Center Needs Funds to Remain Open - 2010
- Showing full length copyrighted movies for leadership class - 2010
- Helping students picture themselves at college - 2010
- Wanted: PhotoDropper Macintosh Application - 2009