I am impressed with the ability of the iPhone / iPod Touch application Instapaper Free to create offline, mobile-friendly versions of any webpage. The following five minute screencast demonstrates how you can do this on an iPhone or iPod Touch. You’ll want to download the Instapaper Free application first and create a free Instapaper account.
I love how Instapaper formats webpages which are NOT “mobile-friendly” into very usable / readable versions, which are available offline (when you do not have connectivity to WiFi or cellular network data service) after you “refresh” your Instapaper application to sync up online. Instapaper also works with Google Documents, although they are in a “read-only” format when you make a copy of them with Instapaper. This is a GREAT, free application which certainly has MANY potential applications for 1:1 learning settings when all students have access to an iPod Touch, or when students are using iPod Touches on a mobile cart at school.
For more great suggestions for iPhone and iPod Touch applications, see Kern Kelley’s 2009 K-12 Online Conference Presentation, “The iPod Touch in the Classroom.”
I also have shared my iPhone application list via Appolicious.
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide! MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- Design Thinking Takeaways from Our #k12onlineconf Panel - 2017
- Save YouTube Videos to iPad Camera Roll for Green Screen Compositing - 2016
- Make a Song with Sounds from Your Kitchen on an iPad - 2012
- Transition to Common Core Standards by Jan Hoegh (2 of 2) - 2012
- Transition to Common Core Standards by Jan Hoegh (1 of 2) - 2012
- Manage Podcasts WITHOUT an iTunes Sync Using Podcaster - 2011
- Podcast 368: Learning in a Networked World: For Our Students and For Ourselves by Will Richardson - 2011
- Oklahoma's New K12 Educational Leader (Janet Barresi) Models Social Media Use - 2011
- Find your iTunes App Library on Appolicious and Share your iPhone Apps - 2010
- From One Computer Lab to 1:1 - Best Practices of Technology Integration by Katie Bader and Diane Bilcer - 2010