It’s VERY important we practice and help other learners practice visual storytelling. I’m growing fond of three word phrases which summarize elements of the ISTE NETS. Talk with pictures. Communicate with media. These are some of the ideas which underlie the “Tell a Story with 5 Photos for Educators” project and Flickr group, created by Karen Montgomery.
Jim Groom’s post “The Shining in 6 Frames” is an example of how this same idea of telling a story in 5 or 6 images can be used to summarize visual narratives like films.
What essential concepts in your curriculum could students summarize visually in 5 photos? After they’ve created visual summaries, they can be readily taken into VoiceThread for narration with audio. This is the simple idea I used three years ago to transform (with my 3 year old’s help, of course) the 5 photo story about “Getting a new Haircut” into the VoiceThread digital story, “Getting a New Haircut.”
A simple but very powerful idea. I like powerful ingredients for blended learning. 🙂
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard!
If you're trying to listen to a podcast episode and it's not working, check this status page. (Wes is migrating his podcasts to Amazon S3 for hosting.) Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Curriculum."
On this day..
- How to Enable Comment Moderation on YouTube Videos - 2012
- Publish a Combined iCloud Calendar and Google Calendar - 2012
- Vimeo or YouTube? Where to Post Family Videos? - 2012
- Snow Day Scratch Fun: Using the Broadcast Tag - 2011
- Announcing The Digital Magic Tricks Workshop - 2010
- Great Project Based Learning Resources from the Buck Institute for Education and EduTopia - 2010
- Great quotations about learning with images - 2010
- Podcast338: Bring Curriculum Alive with SCRATCH by Susan Andrews and Students - 2010
- SINGing the Praises of NING by Dawn Danker - 2009
- Anonymous Proxies, Spam and Email Archiving Simplified and Explained - 2009