I’ve been dissatisfied with my WordPress blog theme for many months, but the time and potential headaches involved in making a change to this design have held me back from trying something new. This evening, because I needed to install the Contact Form 7 plug-in to use on a new “Speaking” page I created, I installed and configured the free LightWord WordPress theme here. The most time consuming part was resizing my header graphic, which I was able to do with SeaShore. (A free Mac port of The Gimp.)
I’m increasingly drawn to simple web designs. I acknowledge my three-column layout with multiple widgets does not allow my current blog design to qualify as “minimalistic” by the standards of Jim Groom’s homepage, but I think my new design is a slight improvement over the old. The jury may be out on this, however, based on the results of this xhtml-css validator.
I don’t have time or the desire to look at these problems now, but may down the road. The big benefit is the stylesheet included with Lightword formats the contact forms created by Contact Form 7 so they are readable and usable, unlike my previous theme. My blog posts and pages seem to look fine in Chrome, FireFox and Safari on my Mac. Not sure how they’re looking on IE yet, but I’ll check.
If you have feedback / suggestions / thoughts on this theme change, I’d value your input.
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard!
If you're trying to listen to a podcast episode and it's not working, check this status page. (Wes is migrating his podcasts to Amazon S3 for hosting.) Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Curriculum."
On this day..
- Inspired by Innovative OKCPS Teachers and Students at Arthur Elementary School - 2018
- Using Google Reverse Image Search to Create a (late) Bibliography - 2016
- Podcasting Costs with Amazon S3 - 2016
- Show What You Know with Media (Feb 2015) - 2015
- Why Our Family Ditched AT&T and Joined T-Mobile: Huge Monthly Savings - 2014
- A Vision for Interactive Writing, Student Publishing, and Digital Portfolios in the Classroom - 2013
- Where to Start with Technology Integration in Oklahoma? - 2012
- We've Only Just Begun (to share our voices with media in Yukon Schools) - 2012
- Piano Scales? There's an App For That! - 2011
- Creative Commons and Flickr - 2010