I’ve been dissatisfied with my WordPress blog theme for many months, but the time and potential headaches involved in making a change to this design have held me back from trying something new. This evening, because I needed to install the Contact Form 7 plug-in to use on a new “Speaking” page I created, I installed and configured the free LightWord WordPress theme here. The most time consuming part was resizing my header graphic, which I was able to do with SeaShore. (A free Mac port of The Gimp.)
I’m increasingly drawn to simple web designs. I acknowledge my three-column layout with multiple widgets does not allow my current blog design to qualify as “minimalistic” by the standards of Jim Groom’s homepage, but I think my new design is a slight improvement over the old. The jury may be out on this, however, based on the results of this xhtml-css validator.
I don’t have time or the desire to look at these problems now, but may down the road. The big benefit is the stylesheet included with Lightword formats the contact forms created by Contact Form 7 so they are readable and usable, unlike my previous theme. My blog posts and pages seem to look fine in Chrome, FireFox and Safari on my Mac. Not sure how they’re looking on IE yet, but I’ll check.
If you have feedback / suggestions / thoughts on this theme change, I’d value your input.
Check out Wesley's new ebook, "Mapping Media to the Common Core: Volume I." (2013) It's $15!
If you're trying to listen to a podcast episode and it's not working, check this status page. (Wes is migrating his podcasts to Amazon S3 for hosting.) Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Common Core / Curriculum."
On this day..
- Why Our Family Ditched AT&T and Joined T-Mobile: Huge Monthly Savings - 2014
- A Vision for Interactive Writing, Student Publishing, and Digital Portfolios in the Classroom - 2013
- Where to Start with Technology Integration in Oklahoma? - 2012
- We've Only Just Begun (to share our voices with media in Yukon Schools) - 2012
- Piano Scales? There's an App For That! - 2011
- Creative Commons and Flickr - 2010
- Emotion and text-based communication - 2010
- Any interactive website is poison - 2010
- Poll Results: How much would you / your school pay for PollEverywhere? - 2010
- The Night Before Valentine's Day - 2010