These are my notes from our February 22nd OKC WordPress User’s Group meeting. About 14 of us are here tonight. MY THOUGHTS AND REFLECTIONS ARE IN ALL CAPS.
Chris Jean from iThemes.com is here again!
Tonight we are going to talk about several WordPress plug-ins
First hearing from Larry Stone, going to talk about
I like the iThemes theme “Essence”
In the “old days” of WordPress you had to download plugins, have an ftp client, etc. No more!
– now in WordPress you can select Plug-ins, and ADD NEW
– can search WordPress plug-ins right from your site
– today we are going to install “Wordpress for Twitter”
– look at how many stars a plug-in has, how many people are using it, and how many problems/bugs they are having/reporting
THIS IS REALLY GREAT. I ACTUALLY HAVE STILL BEEN USING FTP TO INSTALL NEW PLUGINS, I’LL HAVE TO GIVE THIS A TRY!
Now discussing how to insert widgets
Takeaway: You can install and configure plug-ins now within WordPress
Now hearing from Justin of iThemes.com, talking about the Backup Buddy plug-in
– using a sandbox site tonight: http://project1.ithemes.com/
– this theme is still in beta, and will be released in about 2 weeks
– if you want to beta test this, email justin [at] ithemes [dot] com
One advantage of pluginbuddy is it can migrate a site to a new URL/domain, so if you have something on a test server it will
– Chris Jean has used this successfully with a 800 MB mySQL database
– on the destination server you just have to put a single zip file and 1 php file, you don’t have to install WP first (importbuddy.php file is downloadable from within the plugin, this is the script that handles the restore)
– can do scheduling of backups
– can also use ftp to send backup file to another server for a restore or backup, including Amazon S3 or other storage
– if you have mySQL credentials the program will create a new mySQL database when you restore it
I AM THINKING THIS IS GREAT BECAUSE OF THE FILE SIZE LIMITS I RAN INTO PREVIOUSLY WHEN I HAD TO MOVE/RESTORE MY WORDPRESS BLOG TO A NEW WEB HOST
Good idea for busy site to backup during non-peak hours
Now demonstrating how to do a restore on a new site
– Justin ftped the zip backup and 1 php file into the root of the new server/site
– the script prompts you for all required info, including mySQL database you want to use
– if you use an existing mySQL user that has rights for the new database you want to create, it will create that database on the fly
THIS IS REALLY IMPRESSIVE!!!
Going to probably priced this with a tiered model, free for individuals up to a certain number of users
It is not easy to make a large PHP zip file backup
– current most popular WP backup does the database only
currently iThemes has a list of about 20 plugins they want to develop
Now David North is going to discuss WordPress Thumbnails
– lots of themes don’t have the thumbnail feature
– WordPress has added things to make this work, but you have to do some minor tweaks to your theme to make this work
– see this post for instructions about how to do this
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide! MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- Learning in Dodge City About Digital Literacy & iPads in the Classroom - 2014
- Twitter Archived Learning from EdCampOKC 2014 - 2014
- Empowering Digital Witnesses to Preserve and Share Family Stories - 2013
- Turn Off AudioBoo Comments - 2012
- iOS Apps by Genre and Every Day Apps #edapp - 2011
- Register for #iste11 BYOL: Simple Ideas for Powerful Sharing - 2011
- K12Online Conference Echo Webcasts - 2010
- A superintendent for whom I'd like to work - 2008
- Google Notebook article - 2007
- More than the 3 R's? - 2007