I created this today using “The Newspaper Clipping Generator.” I wish this was true.
In case you can’t read the above text on this Flickr image, here it is as text:
In a move that has stunned technology fear-mongers and edtech vendors statewide, the internet service provider “Two Flowers” has decided to unblock the website Ning.com on school networks for which it provides content filtering services.
James Scaryman, CEO of Two Flowers, issued a written statement which has been picked up by the AP and other wire services: “We decided to just scrap the fear mongering game with schools. Sure there is objectionable content online, and we’re still providing a basic level of content filtering. We were scaring people to death telling them they would all die if they opened Ning on their network, and the truth is we were lying. Lots of kids are already bypassing the content filter at school with proxies, so effectively the main people we were keeping off sites like Ning were teachers.”
James went on to endorse the work of digital storytelling groups like Story Chasers Inc., based in Oklahoma, who use Ning networks to demonstrate the power of safe, collaborative publishing online which educators moderate and gatekeep. “Storychasers really is the bomb,” James said. We’re so excited they are extending the “Celebrate Oklahoma Voices” project now into Kansas. “Celebrate Kansas Voices” is going to rock the house.
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard!
If you're trying to listen to a podcast episode and it's not working, check this status page. (Wes is migrating his podcasts to Amazon S3 for hosting.) Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Curriculum."
On this day..
- Podcast422: Snow Day Podcast - Student iPad Projects, Forum with Joy Hofmeister & Makerspace Dreams - 2015
- EduBrawl! Pros Debate Mobile, Flipped and Games - 2013
- Podcast389: Improving Literacy with Media in Higher Education - 2012
- iPad: A Tool for Differentiation (in a primary classroom) #mace11 #edapp - 2011
- The Politically Incorrect Guide to the Founding Fathers (a book club discussion) - 2010
- Web 2.0 Projects by Laura Sadler #mace2010 - 2010
- Cell Phones R 4 More Than Texting: Let's plan for them, not ban them! - 2010
- Free Resources from Discovery Education #mace2010 - 2010
- Janet Wozniak: Think back to the reason you got into education: To change the world - 2010
- It takes leadership to get creative in schools and support the use of Skype - 2010