This podcast from the road features an interview with 12 year old Alexander, who discusses his extensive use of the website FanFiction to read imaginative book chapters written by other people around the world based on characters from J.K. Rowling’s Harry Potter book series. In the past year, Alexander has read approximately eight different books written by authors publishing on FanFiction.net. With almost half a million Harry Potter related stories on FanFiction now, it is important to use advanced search query / filtering techniques to find stories you want to read. Alexander discusses how he uses FanFiction, tips for searching for books, and how he uses the free version of the iPod Touch application InstaPaper to create mobile-optimized, offline versions of FanFiction book chapters he is reading. This enables him to read FanFiction book chapters even when he is offline / not connected to a WiFi hotspot. InstaPaper is also beneficial because it optimizes the text size and reading experience for saved webpages, making the saved webpage function similarly to an eBook on the Kindle for iPhone application.
Subscribe to “Moving at the Speed of Creativity” weekly podcasts!
Did you know Wes has published 9 eBooks, and 1 of them is available free? Check them out! Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard!
If you're trying to listen to a podcast episode and it's not working, check this status page. (Wes is migrating his podcasts to Amazon S3 for hosting.) Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Curriculum."
On this day..
- Oklahoma Students Reflect on Scratch Projects at Scratch Camp (March 2013) - 2013
- Let's Believe in Kids and Teachers as Creative Digital Makers, Not Just Passive Consumers - 2013
- Volunteer Your Site to Host a Summer 2011 Storychasers’ Workshop - 2011
- Digital Footprints Can Include PDF Authorship Details - 2011
- Podcast342: A 12 Year Old's Favorite iPod Touch / iPhone Games (March 2010) - 2010
- Podcast308: A Long Overdue Personal and Professional Life Update (March 2009) - 2009
- The value of comment moderation and feedback from a social media audience - 2009
- A vision of the mobile, connected college experience - Today in Abilene, Texas - 2008
- Podcast44: Lessons Learned from 1-to-1 Laptop Initiatives: Reflections on the Critical Components - 2006
- Podcast43: Facilitating Effective Technology Research in the Core Content Areas - 2006