This podcast from the road features an interview with 12 year old Alexander, who discusses his extensive use of the website FanFiction to read imaginative book chapters written by other people around the world based on characters from J.K. Rowling’s Harry Potter book series. In the past year, Alexander has read approximately eight different books written by authors publishing on FanFiction.net. With almost half a million Harry Potter related stories on FanFiction now, it is important to use advanced search query / filtering techniques to find stories you want to read. Alexander discusses how he uses FanFiction, tips for searching for books, and how he uses the free version of the iPod Touch application InstaPaper to create mobile-optimized, offline versions of FanFiction book chapters he is reading. This enables him to read FanFiction book chapters even when he is offline / not connected to a WiFi hotspot. InstaPaper is also beneficial because it optimizes the text size and reading experience for saved webpages, making the saved webpage function similarly to an eBook on the Kindle for iPhone application.
Subscribe to “Moving at the Speed of Creativity” weekly podcasts!
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide! MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- Adult Identity and the "I Can't Use Technology Well" Introduction - 2019
- Setting Up Google Cloud Printing at School - 2016
- Mourning the Untimely Death of Gigaom - 2015
- iPhone Charging Mystery Solved: Pocket Lint Was The Culprit - 2015
- Oklahoma Students Reflect on Scratch Projects at Scratch Camp (March 2013) - 2013
- Let's Believe in Kids and Teachers as Creative Digital Makers, Not Just Passive Consumers - 2013
- Volunteer Your Site to Host a Summer 2011 Storychasers’ Workshop - 2011
- Digital Footprints Can Include PDF Authorship Details - 2011
- Podcast342: A 12 Year Old's Favorite iPod Touch / iPhone Games (March 2010) - 2010
- Podcast308: A Long Overdue Personal and Professional Life Update (March 2009) - 2009