What does the “War on Terror,” jazz, manufactured consent, hip-hop music, remix culture, Led Zepplin, globalization, Radio Head, contemporary Iranian music responding to recent alleged electoral fraud, and a 1924 film commissioned by the Soviet government have in common? These are all themes included in the latest album and DVD project, “The Secret Song” by Paul D. Miller, AKA DJ Spooky, That Subliminal Kid. In this eight minute YouTube video, Paul explains the eclectic inspirations which led to this amazing art and music project:
Paul thinks “art and music are compellingly connected,” and I think he’s right. Artists and social commentators have always used juxtaposition to encourage us to view our world with new eyes, or at least with new lenses. If your students think politics, economics and history are simple topics, introduce them to DJ Spooky’s view of current affairs and challenge them to thoughtfully respond. I’m sure Paul would welcome the feedback. 🙂
H/T to my mom who saw and heard DJ Spooky on April 9th in Manhattan, Kansas, when he performed at McCain Auditorium on the campus of Kansas State University.
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard!
If you're trying to listen to a podcast episode and it's not working, check this status page. (Wes is migrating his podcasts to Amazon S3 for hosting.) Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Curriculum."
On this day..
- Learn About Coding & Minecraft: Saturday April 18 at PLAYDATE OKC (free!) - 2015
- Kids Teaching Kids by Eric Marcos - 2012
- Great Educational Ideas from TEDxNYED - 2012
- Hands-on Introduction to Mobile Learning App/Game Creation for Non-Programmers - 2012
- Buckling Down Down for Oklahoma Standardized Testing Military Style [VIDEO] - 2012
- Application of OBTE Principles by Randal Wickman - 2011
- Military Development at West Point by Col Casey Haskins - 2011
- Tony Wagner discussing learning at the 2011 Intellectual Warrior's Conference - 2011
- Understanding Race to the Top and the Obama Education Reform Agenda (deja vu, GW Bush) - 2010
- Scrape blogs: A mildly dark (and certainly irritating) side of open content licensing - 2010