Simple, stick figure drawings accompanied by audio narration can be very powerful when they are used to tell a compelling story. The following video, “Children’s Rights,” was shared by one of my students this semester in “Technology 4 Teachers.” She described it by writing:
This educational video basically was a PSA (Public Service Announcement) that spoke up for children’s rights. This video was based off a true story of a little girl whose mother died, her brothers ran away, and her dad was an alcoholic. She was sent to live with her uncle, who made her work all day in a factory and then he sold her to a stranger who made her beg in the streets… ultimately she was used for sexual gratification and ended up infected with HIV. This was a very sad video… But we all need to be aware of these types of issues…
This is a disturbing video, but it addresses real, troubling issues… so it probably shouldn’t be anything BUT disturbing if it’s authentic and true to the topic. Child prostitution, AIDS/HIV, and child abuse are all real problems affecting REAL kids. This video can be used as an object lesson for many things. One of them is that you don’t need to use expensive, high-tech equipment or methods to communicate a story in a powerful way that people will remember.
Did you know Wes has published 3 eBooks, and 1 of them is available free? Check them out! Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard!
If you're trying to listen to a podcast episode and it's not working, check this status page. (Wes is migrating his podcasts to Amazon S3 for hosting.) Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Common Core / Curriculum."
On this day..
- My Hail Story - 2013
- The Portable $500 LED Projector I Want - 2013
- Lessons Learned Following Oklahoma School Beating Amplified by Social Media - 2012
- A Call to Action: Waging a War to Save our Republic - 2011
- Using Copyright-friendly Images Effectively in Presentations - 2011
- Embedding a Google Document in a Google Site Page - 2010
- Podcast313: Top 10 Reasons to Be a StoryChaser - 2009
- Podcast248: Technology Shopping Cart Podcast06 - Cell Phones and Mobile Devices for Learning (Part 1 of 3) - 2008
- links for 2008-04-26 - 2008
- Podcast148: Building 21st Century Achievers (Kevin Honeycutt) - 2007