Classen SAS, the public magnet school my oldest child attends in Oklahoma City, has some new portable classrooms because of the much-needed MAPS improvements getting underway.
This morning as I dropped off my son for school, we noticed some new graffiti on the side of the eastern-most portable.
I do not know enough to say if this is gang graffiti or not. There has been an increase in gang related violence in Muskogee recently, and gangs remain (from what I’m told and read) very powerful in parts of Oklahoma City. I live in a bubble in many ways in Edmond. Like so many families, we live in the suburbs where we perceive ourselves sheltered from many of the issues and challenges which surround more impoverished communities. This morning is a reminder of voices in our school community that want to find means for expression. I am not sure what they are saying, but I do think it’s a good idea to pay attention.
– Posted using BlogPress from my iPad. Photos taken with an iPhone and uploaded to Flickr via Pixelpipe.
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide! MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- Podcast452: Classroom Wireless Projection Options, Coding, Toy Hacking, CyberSecurity & More from ATLIS 2017 - 2017
- Comparing Risks and Benefits of a PreTeen YouTube Channel - 2016
- A Touching Sign Language Performance of David Phelps: No More Night - 2012
- Using iPadio to Create a Final Exam Study Guide Phonecast - 2011
- What I Hope You Learned (A Technology 4 Teachers Pecha Kutcha Presentation) - 2010
- Podcast347: Be The Change You Want To See In Schools - 2010
- Day 2 of SMART Notebook training at CSD - 2009
- Visualizing Progress - 2009
- Podcast250: An Overview of Streaming Video Formats, Standards, Technologies, and Considerations from John Copeland of VBrick - 2008
- Podcast249: Pimp My Ride (digitally) Southeast Oklahoma Style (An Interview with Lance Ford: Mac Jedi) - 2008