The following photographs could likely be taken at almost any College of Education today in the United States. I’m not sharing this to be harshly critical of the current institution for which I am teaching as an adjunct instructor: Rather I’m sharing these images because they reflect the assessment status quo for many professors / instructors and students today, even within our education colleges.
It’s the end of term, so it’s time for students to turn in their final projects. What does this project turn-in process look like for many classes? Something like this.
If I was king, all the students at our college would be required to have their own laptop computers, and all projects like this would be turned in electronically. The university has a license for WebCT/Blackboard, and many faculty use it, but (according to the university staff who conducted my orientation session in January) most simply post their syllabus online.
Times need to change. We need 1:1 computing NOW in our K-12 schools and in our universities. As Alan Kay says, “The predominant technology defines the predominant learning task.” When everyone doesn’t have a wireless computing device, it’s hard to ask everyone to work paperless. It’s time to move all our universities and schools into the 21st century. To do this, we’ve got to work more digitally with ideas and information than we ever have before.
Did you know Wes has published 3 eBooks, and 1 of them is available free? Check them out!
If you're trying to listen to a podcast episode and it's not working, check this status page. (Wes is migrating his podcasts to Amazon S3 for hosting.) Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Common Core / Curriculum."
On this day..
- iPad Apps About Rockets, Spacecraft Design, and Astronomical Engineering - 2014
- Inspired to Dream BIG @NorthwesternU - 2011
- We need more constructive and positive Storychasers in The Age of Humiliation - 2010
- Abandoning Juice Receiver - At least for now - 2008
- Beyond the Fear Factor with Internet Safety - 2008
- links for 2008-05-05 - 2008
- A growing global audience - 2008
- A warning that came too late - 2008
- Do you need a Second Life?? - 2007
- Advice to curb wordpress spam? - 2006