Carol Engelmann, in a video interview for the Imagine It! Project, correctly observes our politically-inspired educational culture of high stakes accountability (NCLB) has severely hurt the cause of creative teaching, driven passionate teachers away from the profession, and DISCOURAGED rather than encouraged excitement in many K-12 science classrooms.
Carol Engelmann is an Einstein Fellow for the National Science Foundation. Her criticism of the harmful “narrowing” of our K12 school curriculum to focus almost exclusively on math and reading (to the detriment of the sciences and other content areas) mirrors the REVISED opinions of Diane Ravitch shared in her new book, “The Death and Life of the Great American School System: How Testing and Choice Are Undermining Education.”
Fortunately for us in Oklahoma, all scientific, inquiry-based learning has not been sacrificed at the unholy altar of NCLB. Today was our 4th grade science fair.
Of course, statewide testing IS over now. Could our school leaders envision a day when science fairs happen BEFORE mandated testing days? Or a day when we have MULTIPLE science fairs during the course of a year?
As long as NCLB pressures teachers and administrators to “narrow” their curricular focus, that answer is probably NO.
It’s time to change our educational political course in the United States. It’s too bad our current administration seems bent on continuing to perpetuate the failed educational policies of the past.
Did you know Wes has published 3 eBooks, and 1 of them is available free? Check them out!
If you're trying to listen to a podcast episode and it's not working, check this status page. (Wes is migrating his podcasts to Amazon S3 for hosting.) Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Common Core / Curriculum."
On this day..
- Orientation Challenge in MinecraftEDU - 2014
- Block Text Messages / SMS Spam and Phone Calls on Your iPhone - 2012
- #ISTE2010 Constructivist Celebration and The Imagine It! Project - 2010
- How We're Reinventing the Blog by Sachin Agarwal (Posterous co-founder) - 2010
- Storychasers is looking for a new logo via @crowdspring - 2010
- Setup a new WordPress installation as a subdomain with Buddypress - 2010
- Internet Safety Issues: What can librarians do? - 2008
- Internet Crimes with Larry Boggess of OSBI - 2008
- Internet Safety Issues with Joel Gabel of Google - 2008
- H.323 on a Mac to the world - 2006