The video “A Fair(y) Use Tale” was created in 2007 by Professor Eric Faden of Bucknell University to illustrate key concepts of U.S. copyright law, exclusively using short clips from copyrighted Disney movies. The full video is 10 minutes, 14 seconds long.
This is a VERY clever as well as memorable way to encounter key copyright principles. I particularly like Chapter 4 of the video on “Fair use,” which begins at 6:21 of the YouTube posted version. I’ve added the parameter “&start=381″ to the embed code, so it will start playing 381 seconds (or 6 min, 21 sec) into the video in this second version and start with Chapter 4:
The two videos we currently use to help educators better understand copyright in our Celebrate Oklahoma Voices workshops are:
Get Creative (a 2002 video introducing Creative Commons)
Find more videos like this on Celebrate Oklahoma Voices!
Copyright, What’s Copyright (a 2009 video from the Media Education Lab at Temple University introducing the basic concepts of US copyright law: It was designed to promote creativity and balance the rights of owners and users)
Did you know Wes has published 9 eBooks, and 1 of them is available free? Check them out! Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard!
If you're trying to listen to a podcast episode and it's not working, check this status page. (Wes is migrating his podcasts to Amazon S3 for hosting.) Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Common Core / Curriculum."
On this day..
- MinecraftEDU student computer (client) configuration - 2014
- Google Chrome & Homebase" Computer Lab Setup - 2014
- Load Saved MinecraftEDU World on School Server - 2014
- Reflections on Graduation Rituals, Celebrations, College Debts and a Ph.D. - 2012
- Wow - 2010
- Looking beyond coercion, tests and seat time - 2008
- links for 2008-05-19 - 2008
- Video in schools and underlying pedagogies - 2006
- Google Trends and Data Analysis - 2006
- No cross-post this week - 2006