This is a useful, free smartphone app find: Cardstar. Instead of bringing the “shopping loyalty” cards which many retail vendors use today to track our every move and provide nominal discounts, use the free Cardstar smartphone application. (Direct link to the iPhone / iPod Touch application in the Apple Apps Store.) Select the retail outlet name, enter your “customer code,” and the app provides an onscreen, scannable barcode which can be used at the checkout stand. This also works with many gym cards, including those at the YMCA. Very handy.
I definitely find it a burden to keep track of “loyalty cards” for places like pet stores, grocery stores, electronics stores, etc. I’m not overly enthusiastic about the idea of loyalty cards in general, since it’s a way for retailers to track us and aggregate purchasing data, but sometimes the available discounts to “loyalty card holders” are worth it. Cardstar looks like a good way to get these discounts and not have to keep track of all those cards.
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide! MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- Teacher Personal Laptop Purchase Advice: Mac Laptop or Chromebook - 2017
- Director of Technology - Casady School - 2015
- Directly Download an Enhanced ePUB eBook to Your iPad - 2012
- YouTube is the new Cable Channel Platform - 2012
- Working with Free eBooks on Kindle for iPad NOT from Amazon.com - 2011
- Digital Storytelling in Plain English - 2010
- Skirky and Pink on Cognitive Surplus, Motivation & Social Media - 2010
- Kansas Teachers: Register for Celebrate Kansas Voices (CKV) 4-6 August 2010! - 2010
- What does 21st century literacy prep mean 2U? - 2010
- Howe 2008: The Last Lecture - 2008