I think our nature is to be active and engaged. I’ve never seen a 2-year-old or a 4-year-old who’s not active and engaged. That’s how we are out of the box. And if you begin with this presumption, you create much more open, flexible arrangements that almost inevitably lead to greater satisfaction for individuals and great innovation for organizations.
Television was a solitary activity that crowded out other forms of social connection. But the very nature of these new technologies fosters social connection—creating, contributing, sharing. When someone buys a TV, the number of consumers goes up by one, but the number of producers stays the same. When someone buys a computer or mobile phone, the number of consumers and producers both increase by one. This lets ordinary citizens, who’ve previously been locked out, pool their free time for activities they like and care about. So instead of that free time seeping away in front of the television set, the cognitive surplus is going to be poured into everything from goofy enterprises like lolcats, where people stick captions on cat photos, to serious political activities like Ushahidi.com, where people report human rights abuses.
Sent from my iPad
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard!
If you're trying to listen to a podcast episode and it's not working, check this status page. (Wes is migrating his podcasts to Amazon S3 for hosting.) Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Curriculum."
On this day..
- Teacher Personal Laptop Purchase Advice: Mac Laptop or Chromebook - 2017
- Director of Technology - Casady School - 2015
- Directly Download an Enhanced ePUB eBook to Your iPad - 2012
- YouTube is the new Cable Channel Platform - 2012
- Working with Free eBooks on Kindle for iPad NOT from Amazon.com - 2011
- Digital Storytelling in Plain English - 2010
- Kansas Teachers: Register for Celebrate Kansas Voices (CKV) 4-6 August 2010! - 2010
- What does 21st century literacy prep mean 2U? - 2010
- Leave shopping loyalty cards at home - just bring your smartphone and Cardstar - 2010
- Howe 2008: The Last Lecture - 2008