I find the concept of “place-based storytelling” compelling. Places often have stories. Objects can have stories too, and that is the case in Edna Parrish’s six minute video, “The Sisterhood Of The Traveling Baby Cradle.” This is a touching story of a baby cradle from the mid-1800s which has criss-crossed the American midwest multiple times to serve as a comforting bed for five generations of babies in an extended midwestern family.
This video was the first one Edna had ever created on a computer, although she has worked extensively with audio on public radio. She did a great job sharing this story. This week in our COV workshop she had her first opportunity to work on an Apple computer and in iMovie as well. Her experiences were very positive: At the end of our workshop she said, “I’m convinced! I’m getting a Mac!” Woo hoo!
This video and others from our Celebrate Oklahoma Voices workshop in MidDel Public Schools last week are now featured in the COV Learning Community. Celebrate Oklahoma Voices is a statewide oral history project presented by the nonprofit Storychasers.
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide!MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- EdCampOKSDE Coming Tuesday July 7, 2015 to Oklahoma City - 2015
- Why Edward Snowden's Disclosures Are Terrifying - 2014
- iPad Media Camp July 8-10 at UFM Community Learning Center in Manhattan, Kansas - 2014
- Educational Technology Podcasts from Kansas City: Storytelling and Visual Literacy Activity Ideas - 2012
- Monetizing Blogging via Amazon's Kindle - 2009
- Is the Obama Administration Dooming Us to HyperInflation? - 2009
- National Cyber Summit on 21st Century Skills - 2009
- Rather than innovate, Microsoft may litigate against open source - 2007
- Flux - 2006