These are my notes from Kristy Lovett (teaches HS Art 1-4) and Erica Carey‘s (HS consumer science) afternoon presentation at the Crescent Public Schools‘ 1:1 learning conference on 4 June 2010. The title of his session was, “Cross-Curricular Teaching (Electives/Core) in a 1:1 Environment.” MY THOUGHTS AND COMMENTS ARE IN ALL CAPS.
MY ASIDE: THE STORYCHASERS MOBILE LEARNING TEAM BLOG IS A PLACE FOR EDUCATORS IN 1:1 SETTINGS TO SHARE IDEAS.
Don’t just tell kids to go research online about a topic
Kids need to find the difference between reliable
– Example: Tree Octopus
I have a facebook page (which is blocked at school) for feedback for parents and students
– can give extra credit if parents will email
– need laptop guidelines: we have those in every class
– consistent rules, and consistent consequences
– start with a plan
— course outlines
— PASS footprints
Make your lesson plans digital! Don’t be intimidated! You can do it!
Create a visual learning environment
– words can only recall images we’ve seen before! Use lots of images
3 biggest mistakes teachers make when using technology in the classroom
1. Technology is not used in a focused manner
2. Technology is the focus
“You call this a multimedia production? This is a slide projector and a bed sheet!” – Archibald Asparagus
3. Inadequate planning (have a plan, make sure your sites are open at school)
Don’t re-invent the wheel!
– so much information is out there!
– search for it!
– find a forum for teachers of your subject to get ideas
http://arted20.ning.com great for art teachers
– members here from all over the world
– I am working with a teacher in China now to send them some of our artwork, and they are going to send us theirs
– We are working with a classroom in Germany thanks to a German exchange student we had last year
Also we have a 1:1 Ning for Oklahoma schools
MY ASIDE: OF COURSE IT’S CLOSED/PRIVATE, SO NO ONE OUTSIDE THE ARRA GRANTEE GROUP CAN SEE ANY OF THE CONVERSATIONS HAPPENING THERE…
– Posted using BlogPress from my iPad
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide!MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- Bernie Sanders Explains Progressivism in the new Democratic Party - 2017
- Native American Independent Films - 2012
- Configuring FREE Home Content Filtering with OpenDNS - 2011
- Digital Gems in a Local Pawn Shop - 2011
- Wired in digital bits for $5 per issue? No thanks - 2010
- Cross-Curricular Teaching (Electives/Core) in a 1:1 Environment - 2010
- From Lesson Plans to Online Curriculum by Jim Askew #ok1to1 (Amazing open Chemistry curriculum) - 2010
- Teaching English in a 1:1 Classroom by Julie Cook #ok1to1 - 2010
- Jim Askew on Individualized Online Curriculum and Transforming Learning #ok1to1 - 2010
- Welcome to Crescent PS: Teaching in a 1:1 Laptop Environment #ok1to1 - 2010