Yesterday I had lunch at our local McAlister’s Deli in Edmond, Oklahoma. This was the first retail outlet I’ve seen which has such a high tech wifi authentication scheme. Patrons enter their receipt number and purchase total to gain access to the free wifi network. This makes a lot of sense. I wouldn’t be surprised if this connectivity “lease” also timed out after a period of time. From an accountability standpoint, it’s worth noting this login scheme also would permit IT gurus to connect a device’s digital footprints (while connected to the local network) to an identity if the person paid for their meal with a credit or debit card. Wow. Many of our schools need to provide wifi access to students and parents, but do so in a moderated and accountable way. We could probably learn a lot from retail outlets like this. http://www.smokingbishop.net
Sent from my iPad
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard!
If you're trying to listen to a podcast episode and it's not working, check this status page. (Wes is migrating his podcasts to Amazon S3 for hosting.) Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Curriculum."
On this day..
- Force Chromebook User Logout When Closed - 2016
- A 5 Photo Sushi Story - 2011
- Learn with Bill Nye the Science Guy in Memphis June 15-16! #micon11 - 2011
- Want to Inspire Creativity? Invite LOTS of Opportunities to CREATE - 2010
- It must be time to restart - 2009
- Control your own destiny through education - 2009
- Considering Rigor in light of 21st Century Skills, ePortfolios, and Digital Identity (DI) - 2009
- Tests scores are up, what does that mean? - 2007
- Congrats Daddy Carvin! - 2006
- Google relevance - 2006