This podcast features three different recordings from the Yorktown Victory Center in Yorktown, Virginia, on July 3, 2010. Historical interpreters on the site brought history alive for our family and others in attendance, describing a 6 pound gun as well as mortar like those used in the siege of Yorktown which ended the American Revolutionary War. The same interpreter also shared (earlier in the day) a presentation about field hospitals and the the work of surgeons in the Revolutionary War. The final recording tells the story of The Battle of Great Bridge, an important but lesser known battle from early in the war which led to the evacuation of British forces from Virginia for five years of the war. Refer to the podcast shownotes for referenced links and resources related to this podcast. It seems appropriate to share this podcast on Independence Day here in the United States! Happy Birthday to the USA!
- Yorktown Victory Center (in Yorktown, Virginia)
- Siege of Yorktown (English WikiPedia)
- Animated History of The Siege of Yorktown
- Artillery (English WikiPedia)
- Battle of Great Bridge (English WikiPedia)
- “The Battle of Great Bridge December 9, 1775″, The Continental Line, Kyle Willyard
Subscribe to “Moving at the Speed of Creativity” weekly podcasts!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard!
If you're trying to listen to a podcast episode and it's not working, check this status page. (Wes is migrating his podcasts to Amazon S3 for hosting.) Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Curriculum."
On this day..
- Podcast427: Battlecode Coding Competition at MIT with Jonah Casebeer - 2015
- Holiday weekend listen: Freakonomics Radio provides advice for tech-savvy teachers - 2013
- Moderate learning community membership - 2009
- Making Audioboo locations private - 2009
- Ustream at Night from the Lincoln Memorial - 2009
- Faces of the Fallen - Supporting our soldiers and their families - 2008
- Happy 4th, a new look... - 2007