Dan Meyer’s twelve minute talk at TEDxNYED in March 2010 is one of the best videos I’ve seen not only discussing how multimedia can be used effectively by math teachers to bring “real world” problem solving into the classroom, but even more importantly how we as math teachers can fundamentally change our PEDAGOGY to encourage (as Dan says) both “math reasoning and patient problem solving” I love it!
I love his breakdown of the way we SHOULD approach word problems: VISUAL image first, then a good question, and ONLY after those initial two phases do we add structure and possibly steps.
If you know someone who teaches math, share this video with them. If you teach math (in any capacity) take twelve minutes to listen to Dan’s entire message. While you’re at it, be sure to also share two of my favorite educational technology use examples for mathematics:
- Darren Kuropatwa‘s Scribe Blog Post Hall of Fame (and the entire idea of “Scribe blog posts”)
- The Mathcast 247 Project
Did you know Wes has published 9 eBooks, and 1 of them is available free? Check them out! Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard!
If you're trying to listen to a podcast episode and it's not working, check this status page. (Wes is migrating his podcasts to Amazon S3 for hosting.) Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Curriculum."
On this day..
- Write Well, Sell Well Conference Sept 21, 2013 in Oklahoma City - 2013
- Hallelujah: Oklahoma Withdraws from Common Core PARCC Testing Consortium - 2013
- iPad Tutorial: Use a Free Amazon Wish List as an Information Trap for Books - 2012
- The Pivot to Personal Digital Learning by Tom Vander Ark #innov8 - 2011
- Why email is NOT good enough for communication today - 2010
- Debunking Myths of SextCasting - 2009
- Podcast322: Powerful Ingredients for Blended Learning (Ingredients 1 - 5) - 2009
- 3 more days to submit for K12Online08! - 2008
- links for 2008-07-08 - 2008
- Podcast170: Reinventing Project-Based Learning by Jane Krauss and Suzie Boss - 2007