Dan Meyer’s twelve minute talk at TEDxNYED in March 2010 is one of the best videos I’ve seen not only discussing how multimedia can be used effectively by math teachers to bring “real world” problem solving into the classroom, but even more importantly how we as math teachers can fundamentally change our PEDAGOGY to encourage (as Dan says) both “math reasoning and patient problem solving” I love it!
I love his breakdown of the way we SHOULD approach word problems: VISUAL image first, then a good question, and ONLY after those initial two phases do we add structure and possibly steps.
If you know someone who teaches math, share this video with them. If you teach math (in any capacity) take twelve minutes to listen to Dan’s entire message. While you’re at it, be sure to also share two of my favorite educational technology use examples for mathematics:
- Darren Kuropatwa‘s Scribe Blog Post Hall of Fame (and the entire idea of “Scribe blog posts”)
- The Mathcast 247 Project
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide!MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- Better Remote Learning: Focus on TIME boundaries, Expectations, and Simple Procedures - 2020
- An Important Conversation About Internet Trolls, Sharing Personal Information, Sexual Assault, and More - 2020
- Write Well, Sell Well Conference Sept 21, 2013 in Oklahoma City - 2013
- Hallelujah: Oklahoma Withdraws from Common Core PARCC Testing Consortium - 2013
- iPad Tutorial: Use a Free Amazon Wish List as an Information Trap for Books - 2012
- The Pivot to Personal Digital Learning by Tom Vander Ark #innov8 - 2011
- Why email is NOT good enough for communication today - 2010
- Debunking Myths of SextCasting - 2009
- Podcast322: Powerful Ingredients for Blended Learning (Ingredients 1 - 5) - 2009
- 3 more days to submit for K12Online08! - 2008