Don’t use your cell phone during class if you’re a student at Canyon High School, in Canyon, Texas. This prominently displayed sign around the school puts everyone on notice (I assume this does not apply to teachers, however) they’ll face a $15 fine for violating the district cell phone use policy.
A few years ago when I was working for AT&T and gave a series of presentations on Internet Safety for students in Kingfisher, Oklahoma, students from Okeene told me they also had a school policy of fines for using a cell phone at school. I don’t know if that Okeene policy is still in place. At the time, students told me it was a graduated policy, with the fine amount increasing for repeated offenses.
Is it legal for schools to fine students like this for using a cell phone?
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide!MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- Recording and Sharing Your iPad with In-Person and Remote Learning Students - 2020
- To-Do and Task Manager Options - 2014
- Images and Thoughts From Back to School Night - August 2011 - 2011
- Starting the School Year Off Right with a Faculty & Staff Lip Dub - 2011
- Goodreader: A great way to read PDF eBooks (like David Warlick's latest) on an iPad - 2010
- Two worthy quotations on leadership and passion - 2009
- Thinking conservatively about public WiFi security and Smartphone tethering - 2009
- Missing mobile alert in GMail - 2008
- Goodstein on "Totally Wired" Students - 2008
- Teachers.tv: Kids, Social Safety & Digital Literacy - 2008