Kudos to CNN for it’s published video today, “Texting to Learn.” Unlike a lot of the mainstream media coverage we see and hear about cell phones in schools, this segment does a good job providing a fairly balanced viewpoint on the struggles as well as opportunities available with cell phone technologies in school.
Students in North Rockland Central School District in Garnerville, New York, are interviewed in the second half of the video segment. Interestingly, although this video was published by CNN today, the CNN article version of the episode linked on the district’s website is from April 2010. The language in this video segment and article is worth noting. First, on the school district’s website, instead of “cell phones” the student technology is called “cell phone computers.”
… the cell phones – renamed MLDs for mobile learning devices – have opened up new ways to learn and changed their parents perspectives.
MLDs and cell phone computers? These names are used intentionally, I am confident, to HELP those parents (as well as teachers) change their perspectives on cell phones for learning.
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide! MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- Podcast467: Reflections on a Gap Year Before College - 2019
- Replace Chromebook 303C Broken Screen with Screen Surgeons - 2013
- Podcast394: Rachel Teaches about Scratch and eBook Writing in Fort Worth - 2012
- The importance of VOICE and empowering others to share - 2010
- Best games for kids on the iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch - 2010
- A mentor and new media luminary takes a blogging hiatus - 2009
- Got digital wishes for your classroom? Disintermediate your edtech funding process! - 2008
- Wanted: K12 Online Conference Committee Volunteers! - 2007
- Spanked and disgusted by malware - 2006
- Thoughts on citizen journalism - 2006