If you haven’t sipped the Google Kool Aid and pronounced it GOOD in the context of email yet, here’s yet another compelling reason to do so: Gmail now offers FREE phone calls from within the Gmail interface to all phone numbers in the U.S. and Canada. That’s right: NOT just free cell phone to cell phone calls when you’re with the same provider, or “free” calls that still cost you cell phone minutes (like Google Voice) or free computer to computer calling as you can do with Skype – Now you can call your parent, child, friend or co-worker on their REGULAR phone line (whatever that might be) as long as it’s a US or Canada number, from your Internet-connected computer, for FREE. This 39 second video from Google, posted to the official Gmail blog on Wednesday this week, explains it better with visuals than I can with text.
What say you to this latest free VOIP offering from our friends at Google, telcos?!
To use free Gmail phone calling, you need to install a free plugin available for Windows XP+ / Mac OS X 10.4+ / Linux.
H/T to James Deaton.
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide! MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- Why Don't Some Teachers Let Students CREATE In Class? - 2013
- Send Web Articles to Kindle from an iPhone with Readability - 2012
- Use a Google Docs Spreadsheet to Send Text Message Alerts to Students - 2011
- Easily Sync Google Calendars to your iPhone - 2010
- Why publish school updates on Facebook? - 2010
- Translate your WordPress blog into 40+ Languages - 2009
- iPod Touch Camera and Mic Coming Sept 9? - 2009
- Student Reporter interviews President Obama - 2009
- Oklahoma Social Media Publishers: Throw Your Voice on October 3! - 2009
- StoryChasers Brainstorm 4 - 2008