My reply today to Facebook Educational Extremes: Banning versus Promotion: “In response to your last question, I think a big thing Facebook offers which a roll-your-own school social network does NOT is Facebook is already on the “information radar screen” of many school constituents. When you create your own digital garden not connected already to the ways people are already used to viewing, processing and interacting with information, you face a big challenge: How do I KEEP people coming back to my site regularly? A facebook fan page helps address that challenge for a growing number of folks. Everyone? No. But as Jeff is arguing, I think, that number is too significant to ignore. Email subscriptions to updates and mailing lists with update summaries are another way to get on parent radar screens. I think schools are well advised to use both Facebook and email. No single communication modality is going to work for everyone, but it makes sense to utilize those which many people are already using today in large numbers.” Sent from my iPhone
Please support my STEM classroom Donor's Choose project: "Applying STEM Skills with Robotic Sphero Balls. Use the promo code INSPIRE at checkout to double your donation (up to $100) thanks to a match from DonorsChoose.org.
Did you know Wes has published 3 eBooks, and 1 of them is available free? Check them out!Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard!
If you're trying to listen to a podcast episode and it's not working, check this status page. (Wes is migrating his podcasts to Amazon S3 for hosting.) Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Common Core / Curriculum."
On this day..
- Why Don't Some Teachers Let Students CREATE In Class? - 2013
- Send Web Articles to Kindle from an iPhone with Readability - 2012
- Use a Google Docs Spreadsheet to Send Text Message Alerts to Students - 2011
- Make free phone calls to land lines (US and Canada) from GMail #gct - 2010
- Easily Sync Google Calendars to your iPhone - 2010
- Translate your WordPress blog into 40+ Languages - 2009
- iPod Touch Camera and Mic Coming Sept 9? - 2009
- Student Reporter interviews President Obama - 2009
- Oklahoma Social Media Publishers: Throw Your Voice on October 3! - 2009
- StoryChasers Brainstorm 4 - 2008