This was my response to the following comment by Dea on “Digital Footprints Essential in Modern Job Hunt: “…how can you get rid of a questionable posting [on a social media website]? …How do you suggest overcoming questionable hits that come up on a search but don’t fully represent one’s work or the context of the situation?”
The best way to take control of your digital footprint is to post regularly on sites YOU own, control, and claim. You can’t take control of things other people post, but you certainly CAN and should ask them to take down (or at least “un-tag” you) in photos you don’t want online. By using a variety of sites to search for yourself and pages/sites which reference you, you can get a sense of what employers and others who Google/search for you are finding and can find. As you post more content AS yourself, using profiles on a blog, Facebook, Twitter, etc. on which you use your REAL name, those posts should rise in pagerank. (That means they should come up higher in search results.) Commenting on other social networking sites, using your profile links, will also help to improve your pagerank for your OWN sites which you control and WANT people to see first, or at least primarily, when they are looking for you online.
What advice would you offer to Dea for taking control of her digital footprint?
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide! MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- Tutorials: Record Audio Podcasts with Voice Record Pro or Anchor - 2019
- Podcast445: Voices from iPadPaloozaOU + the iPad Media Activities & Project Matrix - 2016
- Start of School Reflections (Fall 2014) - 2014
- Internet Resources for our District Internet Cafe PD Activity - 2012
- Florida FCAT Cut Score Lesson: High Stakes Accountability is About Politics Not Learning - 2012
- Digital Footprints Essential in Modern Job Hunt - 2010
- Social networking and college roommates - 2007
- Hope for differentiated assessment in Texas? - 2006
- The case for instant messaging in the classroom - 2006
- Blogsieve: Creating a feed river - 2005