PDFsam is a free, open source software program which permits users to both merge and split PDF files.
After downloading and running PDFsam, to merge separate PDF files into a single document:
- Click Merge/Extract under the Plugins menu in the left sidebar.
- Click the ADD button in the upper right corner of the program and navigate to each separate PDF file you want to combine. Add these to the file queue. They will be shown in the center of the program window.
- Specify the desired destination file name at the bottom of the window.
- Click RUN in the lower right corner.
I’ve previously used CombinePDFs to merge PDF files, but that application is now commercial and just allows for users to combine up to 1000 pages free before the program must be purchased. Since PDFsam is open source it’s entirely free to use without restrictions.
Mac OS 10.6 permits users to merge PDFs directly using the Preview application. This support document from Apple explains how.
Do you have other favorite, free ways to merge / combine PDF files? One think I do NOT know how to do, and would love to learn, is how to add sequential page numbers to a combined PDF file. Is there a free program which will do this, on either the Mac or Windows platforms?
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide!MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- Tips for Discussing Conspiracy Theories with Students - 2020
- Fall 2014 EdCamp Oklahoma Video Project - 2014
- 8th Grade GeoMap Project For English: Road to Hiroshima - 2013
- eBook Self-Publishing with Amazon, CreateSpace & iTunes Producer - 2013
- Highlights from the 2011 Educational Technology Conference (ETC) in Missoula - 2011
- Technology Trends in Higher Education (Sept 2010) - 2010
- Understand Creative Commons in 180 seconds - 2010
- Delete iPad photos with Image Capture - 2010
- Comparing options for free audio recording directly to the web: iPadio and Voisse - 2010
- Interactive technology access does not guarantee good teaching and learning - 2009