The Washington Post article from September 5th, “Parents use ‘digital’ grounding as a 21st century disciplinary tool,” includes some good ideas for parents of digital age kids. Facebook is a privilege, not a right. Kids CAN survive without digital access to their peers for awhile, particularly if their device use is getting in the way of important priorities, like academic studies. It can be a good idea to”friend” your own child to help keep tabs on their digital activities, and step in if they get far out of line.
Have you taken away access to digital technology as a consequence for your own children’s misbehavior? Have you friended your own children or younger relatives on social networking sites like Facebook? Have you spoken up when you’ve observed inappropriate comments or photos, or remained silent?
These issues and ideas would be great ones to raise with parents in discussions about Internet safety and digital citizenship.
HT to my mom for sharing this article on her Posterous blog.
– Posted using BlogPress from my iPad
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide! MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- Digital Literacy Tips: Strategies for Online Fact Checking - 2016
- Podcast432: Dan Straughan Shares About the Oklahoma City Homeless Alliance - 2015
- Four Upcoming iPad Digital Storytelling Workshops in Oklahoma - 2013
- Oklahoma Innovation Task Force Education Survey - 2013
- Common Core Writing Lesson With AudioBoo: 9/11 Narrated Art - 2012
- A Google Geo-Teacher Learning Day Story: In Tweets - 2011
- Google Earth and Google Maps GTI Workshop (Sep 2011) - 2011
- Google Fusion Tables: Geo-spatially connecting database data - 2011
- Visualizing Data in Google Earth - 2011
- Follow tonight's Presidential debate on OETA's Political Pulse Blog - 2008