The Washington Post article from September 5th, “Parents use ‘digital’ grounding as a 21st century disciplinary tool,” includes some good ideas for parents of digital age kids. Facebook is a privilege, not a right. Kids CAN survive without digital access to their peers for awhile, particularly if their device use is getting in the way of important priorities, like academic studies. It can be a good idea to”friend” your own child to help keep tabs on their digital activities, and step in if they get far out of line.
Have you taken away access to digital technology as a consequence for your own children’s misbehavior? Have you friended your own children or younger relatives on social networking sites like Facebook? Have you spoken up when you’ve observed inappropriate comments or photos, or remained silent?
These issues and ideas would be great ones to raise with parents in discussions about Internet safety and digital citizenship.
HT to my mom for sharing this article on her Posterous blog.
– Posted using BlogPress from my iPad
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard!
If you're trying to listen to a podcast episode and it's not working, check this status page. (Wes is migrating his podcasts to Amazon S3 for hosting.) Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Curriculum."
On this day..
- Four Upcoming iPad Digital Storytelling Workshops in Oklahoma - 2013
- Oklahoma Innovation Task Force Education Survey - 2013
- Common Core Writing Lesson With AudioBoo: 9/11 Narrated Art - 2012
- A Google Geo-Teacher Learning Day Story: In Tweets - 2011
- Google Earth and Google Maps GTI Workshop (Sep 2011) - 2011
- Google Fusion Tables: Geo-spatially connecting database data - 2011
- Visualizing Data in Google Earth - 2011
- Follow tonight's Presidential debate on OETA's Political Pulse Blog - 2008
- CamTwist worked today for our webcast! - 2008
- Tech Shopping Cart Webcast this morning: Challenges of Web 2.0 Integration - 2008