This week, as part of our VoiceThread digital storytelling assignment, my pre-service teachers at the University of North Texas enrolled in “Computers in the Classroom” are required to create a free “avatar” for themselves. In this case, when we use the word “avatar” we’re NOT talking about James Cameron’s recent film by that name! Instead, we’re referring to an “avatar” in a computing or technological sense, which is a graphic representation of someone. It’s very important for educators (as well as students and parents) to understand how avatars can not only be used in lieu of photographs on website profile pages, they can also be a great way to encourage creativity!
I’m recommending my students utilize the EXTENSIVE list of avatar maker websites provided by Joyce Valenza on her “New Tools Workshop” wiki. Joyce is a guru for blended learning tools and strategies. If you haven’t seen her keynote for the 2009 K-12 Online Conference, “The Wizard of Apps,” take some time to check it out. It’s chock-full of great tips and suggestions for using technology resources with students to support learning in the library, in the classroom, and at home.
Follow Joyce on Twitter @joycevalenza.
Did you know Wes has published 3 eBooks, and 1 of them is available free? Check them out!
If you're trying to listen to a podcast episode and it's not working, check this status page. (Wes is migrating his podcasts to Amazon S3 for hosting.) Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Common Core / Curriculum."
On this day..
- Playing BowSpleef with a Friend in Minecraft - 2013
- Learning Cool Things at the 2013 Tulsa Mini Maker Faire - 2013
- HDR iPhoneography at Camp USAFA - 2012
- eBooks The New Normal: how libraries are leveraging the eBook opportunity - 2011
- Reach for the Stars Using Media in Your Classroom - 2011
- YouTube Aggregates Videos Shared on a Blog - 2011
- If you take more Accelerated Reader Tests, I'll give you more cell phone minutes - 2010
- Floppy disk, anyone? - 2009
- Great K12Online09 LAN Party September 26th - 2009
- Some Moodle lessons learned - 2008