The choice, however, was never between do nothing or focus on high-stakes testing [to improve educational outcomes for high poverty students.] Better options have always existed. But these have been under-financed, not supported by the most visible and wealthy sectors in society. They also are more complex, not simplistic like tests, making them harder to sell with sound bites – as if the mind and learning were simple!Testing is a cheap “fix.” Genuinely improving schools and teaching, and overcoming the poverty and segregation that are still the most significant factors in student outcomes, are expensive, complex and politically difficult. Too many members of Congress – and their state counterparts – are willing to accept the cheap way out, even if it is no solution at all.
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard!
If you're trying to listen to a podcast episode and it's not working, check this status page. (Wes is migrating his podcasts to Amazon S3 for hosting.) Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Curriculum."
On this day..
- Is the Pied Piper (electronic devices with screens) taking our kids away? by Neeti Kohli - 2013
- What do you want to CREATE today? (Oct 2012) - 2012
- Gogurt Creativity at Panera #micon - 2010
- Be Like Google (as a school community) #micon #gct @ckyle @sdroke - 2010
- Say Yes to WikiPedia #micon @philip_cummings - 2010
- Tom Barrett on Blogging and Inspiring Student Learning #micon - 2010
- PODDY Training: iPod Touches in the Early Childhood Classroom #micon #edapp - 2010
- Differentiated Professional Development by Melissa Smith #micon - 2010
- Vocabulary Comprehension and Visual Literacy with PicLits - 2010
- Apple iPad rumors, Netbooks, and Commodifcation - 2009