These are my notes from Tom Barrett‘s presentation from England to educators in Memphis, Tennessee, USA attending the 1 Oct 2010 Martin Institute for Teaching Excellence’s fall conference. MY THOUGHTS AND COMMENTS ARE IN ALL CAPS.
Blogging is one of these technologies that is SO powerful
- a really simple way for students to connect together
My class blog this year: http://class5jd.posterous.com
- our class ClustrMap leads to ALL kinds of questions about where those dots are
- kids starting the day with their own questions, their own curiosity
My mantra now, and you can think of this today in terms of technology: “Find as many exciting ways as possible to help each pupil achieve their best”
Watching video of students manipulating photos on a “light box” application environment (similar to the iOS multi-touch environment)
I’ve been involved with multi-touch technology now for about 4 years
- this technology really inspires me because we can blur the lines between the physical and virtual world
- this clip showed kids literally passing each other video clips
- giving children access to this type of rich media can be very powerful
Now playing a video of one of Tom’s students, controlling a scuba diver in the Nintindo Wii game “Endless Ocean”
Did you know Wes has published 3 eBooks, and 1 of them is available free? Check them out!
If you're trying to listen to a podcast episode and it's not working, check this status page. (Wes is migrating his podcasts to Amazon S3 for hosting.) Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Common Core / Curriculum."
On this day..
- Is the Pied Piper (electronic devices with screens) taking our kids away? by Neeti Kohli - 2013
- What do you want to CREATE today? (Oct 2012) - 2012
- Gogurt Creativity at Panera #micon - 2010
- NCLB High Stakes Testing is Counterproductive and Bad for our Nation - 2010
- Be Like Google (as a school community) #micon #gct @ckyle @sdroke - 2010
- Say Yes to WikiPedia #micon @philip_cummings - 2010
- PODDY Training: iPod Touches in the Early Childhood Classroom #micon #edapp - 2010
- Differentiated Professional Development by Melissa Smith #micon - 2010
- Vocabulary Comprehension and Visual Literacy with PicLits - 2010
- Apple iPad rumors, Netbooks, and Commodifcation - 2009