These are my notes from Tom Barrett‘s presentation from England to educators in Memphis, Tennessee, USA attending the 1 Oct 2010 Martin Institute for Teaching Excellence’s fall conference. MY THOUGHTS AND COMMENTS ARE IN ALL CAPS.
Blogging is one of these technologies that is SO powerful
– a really simple way for students to connect together
My class blog this year: http://class5jd.posterous.com
– our class ClustrMap leads to ALL kinds of questions about where those dots are
– kids starting the day with their own questions, their own curiosity
My mantra now, and you can think of this today in terms of technology: “Find as many exciting ways as possible to help each pupil achieve their best”
Watching video of students manipulating photos on a “light box” application environment (similar to the iOS multi-touch environment)
I’ve been involved with multi-touch technology now for about 4 years
– this technology really inspires me because we can blur the lines between the physical and virtual world
– this clip showed kids literally passing each other video clips
– giving children access to this type of rich media can be very powerful
Now playing a video of one of Tom’s students, controlling a scuba diver in the Nintindo Wii game “Endless Ocean”
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard!
If you're trying to listen to a podcast episode and it's not working, check this status page. (Wes is migrating his podcasts to Amazon S3 for hosting.) Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Curriculum."
On this day..
- Learning at the Cisco Roadshow - 2015
- Is the Pied Piper (electronic devices with screens) taking our kids away? by Neeti Kohli - 2013
- What do you want to CREATE today? (Oct 2012) - 2012
- Gogurt Creativity at Panera #micon - 2010
- NCLB High Stakes Testing is Counterproductive and Bad for our Nation - 2010
- Be Like Google (as a school community) #micon #gct @ckyle @sdroke - 2010
- Say Yes to WikiPedia #micon @philip_cummings - 2010
- PODDY Training: iPod Touches in the Early Childhood Classroom #micon #edapp - 2010
- Differentiated Professional Development by Melissa Smith #micon - 2010
- Vocabulary Comprehension and Visual Literacy with PicLits - 2010