These are my notes from Tom Barrett‘s presentation from England to educators in Memphis, Tennessee, USA attending the 1 Oct 2010 Martin Institute for Teaching Excellence’s fall conference. MY THOUGHTS AND COMMENTS ARE IN ALL CAPS.
Blogging is one of these technologies that is SO powerful
– a really simple way for students to connect together
My class blog this year: http://class5jd.posterous.com
– our class ClustrMap leads to ALL kinds of questions about where those dots are
– kids starting the day with their own questions, their own curiosity
My mantra now, and you can think of this today in terms of technology: “Find as many exciting ways as possible to help each pupil achieve their best”
Watching video of students manipulating photos on a “light box” application environment (similar to the iOS multi-touch environment)
I’ve been involved with multi-touch technology now for about 4 years
– this technology really inspires me because we can blur the lines between the physical and virtual world
– this clip showed kids literally passing each other video clips
– giving children access to this type of rich media can be very powerful
Now playing a video of one of Tom’s students, controlling a scuba diver in the Nintindo Wii game “Endless Ocean”
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide!MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- Blogging with Seesaw - 2019
- Learning at the Cisco Roadshow - 2015
- Is the Pied Piper (electronic devices with screens) taking our kids away? by Neeti Kohli - 2013
- What do you want to CREATE today? (Oct 2012) - 2012
- Gogurt Creativity at Panera #micon - 2010
- NCLB High Stakes Testing is Counterproductive and Bad for our Nation - 2010
- Be Like Google (as a school community) #micon #gct @ckyle @sdroke - 2010
- Say Yes to WikiPedia #micon @philip_cummings - 2010
- PODDY Training: iPod Touches in the Early Childhood Classroom #micon #edapp - 2010
- Differentiated Professional Development by Melissa Smith #micon - 2010